Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alcohol and Stress

I have friends who drink alcohol to relieve stress at the end of the day: beer, wine, etc.
Is that a good idea?

There are healthier ways to relieve stress. Social drinking or binge drinking with stress becomes addictive. Balance in ones life with exercise, mental health activity and spirituality helps with stress in a much healthier way.

Im my opinion it is just masking the reality of the situation. They may feel a temporary relif from the stress but the next day it is still in their lives.

One action in response to stress is no life time fix. Stress relief comes from a practice of life styles that contribute to a calm approach to both good and bad stress. Each person needs to have the ability to lead a balanced life with physical activity, mental health. physical health and spirituality.

Alcohol is a depressent and while it may give you a quick escape from the days stresses it will effect the level of rest you actually receive while your sleeping. It leaves your body fighting off the effects of the alcohol which leads to even more stress. It only serves to make problem solving more difficult.

I agree with you. When ever you use artificial means to mask stress it is not a permanent fix. Good health practices, mental challenges and spirituality has long lasting assurances.

I completely agree. Drinking to solve your problem begins a really negative coping strategy, where one begins to look to drinking as a means to solve their problems. Thus, even bigger problems develop, such as dependency on alcohol.

I agree, you should AVOID IT. BESIDES, IT'S NOT HEALTHY.

I personally know people who try to use alcohol as a stress reliever. I have seen first hand that it never works. Numbing your mind only allows you to temporarily forget about your problems, it does not fix them.

I agree that balance is important. Although I'm not much of a drinker anymore, I do find that I often enjoy the company of having some friends and relatives over for a glass or two of wine and chatting. The stress relief comes mostly from being in good company, but a smooth red wine at the end of a long day/week is a nice treat, too!

Sybil,

Good for you. Red red wine that is ok.

Dr. Gary Carlson

As the old saying goes, 'everything with moderation.' I think that alcohol is very much intertwined with being social, and a little bit is okay in a social setting. That being said, I don't think that alcohol is a healthy way to deal with stress long term. I know of patients who started to drink alcohol to relieve stress, and decided it was not enough so they started to taken it with xanax or other prescription drugs.

Daniel,
Alcohol is a drug and can be addictive. Certain personality traits will use it for a crutch.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree Sybil, Just don't drink until one gets blotto. That dosen't fix anything however, a couple in the evening is okay.

I disagree F.V. *** Studies say that Red Wine is helpful and can be healthy in moderate doses. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Nice use of CAPS by the way. Shows you are intensely against drinking.

Thomas,
Knowing your tolerance and keeping away from binge drinking plus social drinking is a good start. The drinking for an unrealistic purpose only leads to negative outcomes.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Thomas,
This probably comes from the old adage when grandparents had a glass of wine when they had dinner and maybe when they retired at night. Any alcohol used for inappropriate use is not good. i am sure red wine in excess is not a good health practice.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment