Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

SOme times mutli tasking can cause to make more mistakes and actually

Mulit tasking can at times be less productive if you are constatnly making errors you have to correct

Sometimes it does for me. If I take one task at a time and complete that task before moving on to the next one. This is where prioritizing your daily and weekly schedule will help eliminate the mistakes.

Thank you, Neal.

Some individuals are comfortable multi-tasking. Others perform best when working on one thing at a time. The toughest thing for folks who like to do one thing at a time to address are interruptions and changing priorities.

In the education business, I believe we are all forced to muli-task. Even with the best planning, I feel I'm constantly interrupted by an immediate instructor or student need. I think the best way to handle this is to evaluate the task at hand, the immediate interruption and then decide which to continue. Sometimes, the interruptions can be handled by making an appointment to follow up with them. Also, the the task at hand is crucial and urgent, I can ask someone else to handle any immediate issus that may arise so all needs can be met.

Thanks, Katie,

You hit upon something important when you referenced "appointments." We do not always have to solve a problem immediately. Making an appointment with the student shows we are concerened.

I used to schedule my classroom observations so that when students stopped me in the hallway, I could tell them I was on my way to an appointment, but that I would be back in my office at a certain time to talk to them. It worked well.

I agree. Sometimes I do catch myself making more mistakes by multi-tasking. I may get into a rhythm that seems like it will be productive. Then after tackling all the many things at once, I find a lot of mistakes and end up starting certain projects over again.

I am learning that multi-tasking is not meant to be used everyday and during certain things. It has taken a while for me to realize this.

Good points, Tiana.

Some people are excellent multitaskers, others need to work on one task at a time. One is not better than the other, it is just that individuals have different styles.

What can be a challenge is when a sequential thinker works for a multitasker.

Katie, My preference is to steer students towards the designated office hours before scheduling outside appointments so I can give them my undivided attention. I am juggling doctorate study, teaching part time, and a family. The campus that I work has a culture of students going straight to the Dean rather than scheduling an appointment, since students think professors should take care of everthing now. I have started keeping a log of phone conferences and scheduled meetings with students as proof that I am accessible within a reasonable timeframe.I have been guilty of immediacy of responding to emails to avoid being reported for not being accessible.

Wanda

Jeffrey, I am a multitasker and have found that I can not expect others to be.I have learned that I need to focus on one item at a time for sequential learners. I had brainmode testing and I was 21% global and 16% sequential which I was told is a good balance.

Wanda

Wanda,

It is great that you recognize that others may not function exactly as you do. Many folks have trouble learning that lesson.

Jeffrey, As an instructor, we have to be very aware of this factor. Otherwise, we become ineffective due to losing sight of our students needs.

Wanda

I find that in my line of education that most of my interruptions can be delt with right away. However, I have had to reschedule a student to an after class meeting and this allows a lot more time to concentrate on his/her concern in a one on one setting.

Katie, great point! Both in the class and outside the classroom there are constant interuptions, etc. Which is why I often say why get upset when "things" are in constant change? There are thing we can affect and things we can't. For those we can, for me, its reprioritizing my priorities. That OK. We must embrace and move forward. What seperates the successful folks from the irritated ones is how they embraced and redirected their best planning like you referenced. In todays work/business environment, I believe multitasking is a huge expectation and we need to get better at it.

How does one find out if he or she is a good multi-tasker? I always thought I was, but maybe I'm just easily distracted. How do you tell the difference?

Chris,

There is no one that can make that judgement but you. Are you getting things done well when you are multitasking. Personally, I am not a good multitasker. I generally have to do one thing at a time. I make sure those I work for and those I wourk with understand this. I have found that I have to turn off email to stay focued during the day. I check it at regular points.

When I have a situation with multiple students in my class, my priority has to be with the person of more importance based upon current gpa. By getting the largest task at hand handled, I can move on to less important matters which can be managed quickly and thoroughly.

Wanda - what about the other 63% of your brain?

Hi Nicole,
I agree that everyone is not good at multitasking just like everyone is not good at organization.It is important when working in teams that people work on tasks that are their strengths rather than being criticized for not being who they are not. Wouldn't you agree that this contributes to team harmony?

Wanda

I can attest to this situation from first-hand experience. Also, I believe that multi-tasking causes a waste of energy and focus as I need to review to get back to a new start point every time I get distracted by the other tasks I am trying to complete.

Suzanne

Multitasking does often lead to errors and decreases efficiency. When it can be avoided, focusing your attention until the task is completed will yield better results.

Sign In to comment