Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

TBD
TBD

Helping Others with a Career Path

Please provide an example of how you, as a supervisor or mentor, have helped someone else manage his/her career. What were the results?

Applicability

I'm not sure I'm taking the 'right' assessment. I expected an assessment on teaching, not management.

Good Practice for any Job

I thought that the tips were very informative and general enough to be put in practice at any business facility. Work ethic, leading by example, and self awareness and betterment are all examples of how one can become better at whatever position you are in.

Personal Assessment

This is very basic but does provoke thinking about what one would do in specific situtations. I think this would be a good tool not only for the beginner, but could serve as a measure of improvements.

release stress>

what are the reason to release stress.

Stress Relief

Try this one, take a minute vacation-close your eyes go to your vacation spot mentally. It takes a minute but what a great relief. Added bonus--rotate your neck slowly first to the left and then to the right---the slower the better.

CA102

Good material, maybe a followup in a month to all participants, asking how is it going?

CA101

The manager must model both leadership and managerial behaviors for his team. I remember the best manager I had was one who "walked the talk, not just talked the walk."

Heavy Bag

The best 80 bucks I've ever spent is that which bought a heavy bag to work out my tension on. A ten minute session hitting the heavy bag is a GREAT workout and an incredible stress relief.

Customer Service

I think these topics are great for any student. They really lend to customer service in addition to good practices in the work place. I see a lack of good customer service skills in the market and believe these examples will help move people toward success. Jason

Stress

Finding healthy ways to deal with stress is always a challenge. Meditation helps some people, but others prefer a more physical approach, like going to the gym or running

Bosses

I have found that bosses require feedback on their actions to help them to be better bosses

Knowledge forum

I feel like these topics are good to expose to students and to show them the proper examples to follow

Loyalty

Times of providing unquestioned loyalty to the boss are gone. The boss has to earn loyalty from employees it is NOT a given that they "owe" it. We need to treat Bosses with courtesy and be careful not to create problems but loyalty has a deep meaning to me and I do not give it lightly.

watchful eye

sometimes someone watching over people can notice that things may be getting stressful to an individual who doenot realize it themselves

Sudden changes on unit goals

When is it acceptable to make sudden changes on unit goals ?

Getting along with the Boss

Bosses are people too! We all work on workplaces with many people and personalities. As intelligent workers we are all figuring out how to get along with everyone we work with and this shouls of course include the boss! Howver it should go both ways! The bosses performance is only as good as ours! Most bosses are slow to notice or realize this and acknowledge it.

Negotiating a vertical organizational structure

It can be difficult to negotiate a vertical authority structure if one is unaccstomed to it. It is best to work around the constraints of such a system and focus on improving ones individual performance.

Dealing with a rarely accessable boss

What is the best way to get helpful feedback from a boss that is rarely on site, and is slow to respond to emails?

New boss

I think alot of this in my opinion is common sense. I feel it is important to make sure our bosses have the right background to be able to lead by example.