Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Hello Everyone

Hi everyone, I'm just excited about being part of this team! cheers, thomas

Stress Management

I think taking out stress through physical activity is a win win situation. Relief stress and feel better about yourself through the same activity. I would recommend hitting the gym for all!

Connecting With Your Boss.

Besides knowing everything about how your boss operates at work, I think it is also important to connect on some personal level, even if minimum.

Looking at those Around You.

Is looking at how those around you may affect you a good area of personal assessment.

Looking at Me

I think this information is good to remind us that we need to focus on being honest with ourselves in what we are doing and if it is "acceptable" or "unacceptable" based on preception of those around us as well as our Leadership team. Our behavior can effect others!

Burnout

I think that burnout is very serious. Especially when it begins to effect one's life physically and emotionally. I believe that sometimes the only way to heal may be to leave that current position, either for a short period like a "leave" or leaving the position entirely.

Handling stress

I work two jobs one from 8 am to 11 30 am go home take a shower come to job 2 at 130 and get home at 11pm. My time is my stress reliever. Going home getting my PJS on and laying in bed watching tv till 2 am

handling stress

I find after a tough day at the office, if I go home, change into some comfortable clothing, and take the dog for a long walk, it tends to take the stress away, helps my weight (the thought of which adds more stress), and puts the work day in a totally different perspective

Keep Training No On Knows It All

A great reminder to keep your mind open.

It is possible to make things better, no matter what.

I feel the pressures of stress and responsibility mostly when I do doubles. I have a child with special needs and have adopted a mother and her two children with special needs and an ex meth adict. To help pay the bills I do side jobs out of the garage and at the track to pay for vacations and extra things that come up. My wife stays home to take care of everyone and I do my best to help her when I am not working. We don't have a lot of free time, but we make a date half… >>>

humor,a good stress reliever

Having a good sense of humor can go a long way toward relieving tons of stress.Try not to take yourself quite so seriously all the time.Give yourself a chance to enjoy what you do.

Leading By Example

This was a great reminder to me to lead by example not by emotion.

New Boss termination

I was in a position years ago when a non performing boss was replaced with a new one. I was the lead on the projects underneath him and ended working 70-80 hours a week to mantain and keep up with the disorganization comming from HQ. When the new boss came in there was little room for negotiation. He basically said things are going to change and he did not agree with the last boss's decisions. I was interested and eager to try a new direction and they laid off the entire team 2 weeks later. I doubt I had much… >>>

Honesty

You should always be upfront and truthful with your superiors. First, your boss doesn't like surprises, they always want to know whats going on. Second, being dishonest will cause the boss to lose trust in you and most likely lose your job, or put you in a situation where it is much easier to lose your job. Third, if your boss knows they can trust you they will rely on you more, causing you to be promoted sooner.

In line for promotion

Is it proper for a manager to demean and employee, that is in-line for a promotion, to test how he will react?

What's Yours?

Did you know there is a test to find out your stongest intelligences. There are 7 altogether. Look in to it!

Finding ourselves

Self awareness and continual growth is sometimes difficult to maintain when I get busy with professional and personal life. The continuing growth though, is an important tool for me to prevent complacency in my job. I notice when I improve my skills, through awareness, I tend to have more interest, better attention to detail and improved self-esteem. I do notice though that i have limits. Too much training and thinking can cause me to burn out, so I do have to take a break, and that is my goal for that moment.

Prioritizing!

How do you prioritize your goals and tasks?

Time-Wasters

Please provide an example of a personal "time-waster." How have you in the past (or might you in the future) minimize(d) personal time-wasters?
TBD
TBD

The First Step

What do you feel is the first most important step in personal career management? Why?