Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Getting Management to Feed into Stress Management on the Job

Often times managers are so high strung themselves for meeting the demands of the work place until they are too busy to recognize a need to discuss stress levels with staff. What is the best practice to get managers on board with being mindful of need to monitor employees stressors?

Unethical verses bad form

Sometimes behavior from managers or staff can fall into a category of "bad form" verses "unethical". I think by reinforcing this grey area a higher level of conduct is established.

Mutual Respect

I think problems arrive when mutual respect is not given between the boss and employee. Agree to disagree but respectfully.A good boss creates an environment where ideas are welcome;not belittled.A good boss avoids "political" decisions and judges everyone on their merits. A god boss can accept when he/she is wrong.

Best exercises?

What would you say are the best exercises to beat stress?

DEVELOPING SKILLS FOR THE UNKNOWN?

LOOKING AT GOING BACK TO SCHOOL, WITH NO PARTICULAR GOAL IN MIND, OTHER THAN A CHANGE. THERE ARE NO OTHER OPPORTUNITIES AT MY PRESENT JOB THAT CURRENTLY INTEREST ME, SO I'M LOOKING TO IMPROVE MY SKILLS TO BETTER PLACE MYSELF IN THE JOB MARKET. CAN A CAREER COUNSELOR HELP WITH THAT?

Open discussions

Having open discussions between students and faculty increases awareness of subject matter. It also sheds new light on other areas that students need additional training or interest. How have open discussions impaced your environment?

prozac anyone..?

whether or not, mental, emotional, physical,or environmental, Stress is the motivator of life. stress invoke natural selection and evolution of all living organism in the world. life is a constant strugle induced by stress..toxic or not the simple act of living is stressful.. so were is the peace... is living in a world without stress an utopia..

Laughter

I agree that humor in the workplace can be a very positive reaction to a strssful situation. Mnay times an event can take place that is blown out of porportion and one negative team player can begin to fuel the fire until several have followed the same path of stressfull negative attitude. By carefully finding a humorous approch to a situation you can ususally difuse a situation and a follow up response with positve solutions can be a very affective anidote to a negative stiuation.

Time managemnt

One of the best time managment strategies for me is to ask for assistance with lengthy or long term projects. An example is marking lab floor space. This was assigned to me as a project to complete, but it was not required that I personnaly performed the tasks involved. There were other personnel available and sometimes all you have to do is ask them for help or advice. Some folks are willing and able and just plain enjoy a task that someone else may not like to do. So the measuring, marling and taping duties were shared by several who… >>>

Boss involvement in work load

With regards to working and getting support from your supervisor or boss, I would like to ask how one would go about letting your boss know if he/she is actually helping or defeating time management direction? I have found that supervisors do not like to be told they are wrong even if its done in a nice easy approach! CEE has offered several steps to communicate with your supervisor, but where is the research that shows if it works?

Ah-Ha Moments

Ever had one of these moments? We all have, but we all do not listen or learn from them. This topic of how to get along with one's boss, was a gentle wake up reminder. Of course, I knew these things, but it was very beneficial to have this as a reminder. We all get into the "race" that work becomes, and sometimes life is speeding along at speeds so intense that we fail to see what is happening. Thanks for this lesson on paying attention to our interactions with our bosses. It was very helpful.

They're Always Watching

Just as young children watch and process mentally and emotionally all that their parents say and do, so do our employees. Remember when your child was very young and repeated something you had said, which wasn't very positive? Remeber the realization at that moment of how impressionable our children are? Our employees notice everything about their leader. They notice how we dress, our tone when speaking, our dedication (or lack thereof), our work ethic. So, the next time you just want to leave a few minutes early, or just want to relax into a more casual manner; remember you are… >>>

"We are Working on it"

This statement is a stress inciting statement for me, as nothing results from it. As I see the business disolving in front of me, getting yelled at from various people not being able to give true to fact answers to reduce the level of stress on both sides. Leaving you with the only answer that they gave you "We are Working on it". Maybe this statement should be listed as the start of the stress cycle in the workplace.

Perspective

I have found that viewing my job as a means by which I enable myself to enjoy life outside of work helps to put things in perspective.

Treadmill

Difficult students, train delays, traffic, juggling two jobs, family conflicts, bills - these are just some of the stress factors that I deal with daily living in New York city. I've been dealing with these for over 10 years but I am able to cope. I find that getting on the treadmill (3-5 times a week for 30 minutes)helps me get a handle on all of these contributors. I also find that separating the weekly grind by taking time out during Saturdays and Sundays helps me. I make sure that these two days are devoted to things that I love… >>>

Balance Personal and Professional

For me, this seems to be the most stressful aspect of my job here. The pressure to work more hours, do more, being forced to commit to things that take away from my family life causes me great stress. Anyone have any tips for maintaining that balance?

Conference Time Management

The environment I currently work in requires at least a bi-weekly working conference where all faculty members provide an update of their current and forecasted projects. As the facilitator for these meetings, I schedule the meeting room, create and provide an agenda for all participants, prepare/update applicable power-point slides, and keep the meeting on track. I open the meeting with a brief update from the last meeting and then provide my updates. I don't allow a lot of time for divergence from the agenda or for extended inputs from participants that don't relate to the group as a whole. In… >>>

Time Management

Do you feel that you reach all your goals?

self inflicted pressure

When taking the assessment I knew the material quite well however, I was constantly interrupted and thus continued to score low. The more I took it and the more times my scores came back less than what I thought it was, the more I pressed to get them all correct. The last time I took the exam, I got them all correct because I enabled myself to not analyze but to just answer the question. Leasson learned, stress is self inflicted.

Stress and Fear of Job

in this day and age the fear of loosing your job can relate onto stress in the workplace