Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Medical Terminology Games

In my terminology classes, we play a combining forms game with two teams and the first team who can write the meaning of the combining form gets the point. It is a fun way to get your students to be engaged and use teamwork to earn prizes!

I really like this idea, Kelly. I will definitely use it. It seems like it can also be adapted to a variety of other subjects as well.

Kelly, it sounds like your fun approach teaches them combining forms in a low anxiety way and increases their chances of remembering them for a long time. Thanks for sharing your idea!

Thank you for sharing this idea!!

Kelly, this is a great idea. I have printed out some ideas on medical terminology games to use in my A&P class. Will sure come in hand and will make my entire class get involved.

That sounds like a great idea! I myself would love taking a class that offers this. I will definitely try to incorporate games such as this into the next class that I teach. I'm still VERY new to teaching in general, so I would love to "start off right." How encouraging would that be!?

I have used various games in class one being
jeopardy. The students seem to like the challenge
and learning at the same time.

Jeopardy is very popular with adult learners, and can look like fun, but be a teaching method as you say.

I use games to reinforce the terminology but I also have the students make up their own games as well for projects.

If they are creating the games, they have to know the content, so this is an effective teaching method. Thank you for sharing.

I sometime use "Wheel of Fortune" in my class and give them fake money(points) which they can cash it from me for extra credit points. (100 fake money = 1 extra credit point). I have realized that the students interact and also remember the terms much faster.

Jumana, wheel of fortune is a great vehicle to both teach and review content. It is engaging and competitive so learners tend to like it.

I have developed either a jeopardy type game or a matching game prior to each exam. I then use them as a review tool. The students seem to learn more doing that rather than just handing out a paper study guide. They also have fun while learning.
I also have the students develop games as a project for class. We then use those games for review. The students not only learn as they creat the games but also have fun while learning.

Interactive anid fun reviews definitely get learner interest and buy in. Having them create games themselves is a good strategy for even deeper involvement.

I have used Scrabble in the past to reinforce individual word parts. Students are divided into small groups and play under the traditional Scrabble rules with one big exception...only medical prefixes, roots, combining forms, and suffixes can be used. Complete medical terms can be built using the word parts already on the board, and it is a great way to review terms from a wide array of body systems. I have had very positive feedback from students on this activity.

I actually made a BINGO game for my medical classes and it has worked out well for the students.

Tim, this is a great adaptation of Scrabble. Most people already know how to play and it doesn't take a long period of time to explain or practice before mastering how to play. Thanks for sharing your great idea.

Rhonda, thank you for sharing your bingo idea.

Hi, I use the BINGO game as well, the students love it. I also use medical terminology in a jeopardy game form as well.

It sounds like a lot of fun! I think I would make more than 1 team depending on the class size.

Sign In to comment