Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using nWord Puzzles

I have used a variety of word puzzles for many years with great success. Sometimes I use them as an additional assignment to reinforce classroom terminology, others to replace a low daily grade. Students don't always realize they are learning. I have had some who balk because they feel they don't have time for what they deem to be "silliness." There are times when I use search-a-words as fillers after a test, and the students look forward to them--occasionally I interject a holiday centered puzzle. All-in-all, the word puzzle idea is great, and I will use the ones you have provided. Thanks.

Thanks, Marcia. Getting students involved in the word puzzles does teach them without that being the focus. Any time we can do that, they will be successful in learning what we are teaching.

I have had the same response of groans when the subject of crossword puzzles comes up. Some love them and others don't want any parts of them. Up to this point, I have offered extra credit points for completion of the crossword puzzle provided in textbook study guides. surprisingly, less than half the class take advantage of the extra points. I will definitely use them as fillers while waiting for their turn at competency performance evaluations or if finished with an exam early.

They are great fillers because they are left brained review activities. Offering bonus points for them is a wonderful way to make them optional versus mandatory. For the right brained learners, you might offer them a chance to create a mind map of the content for extra points.

I often get groans at crosswords too. Providing a word list might get more students actively participating. I will try this. The crosswords provided here are good. Thank you.

I also use word puzzles. Most students like the puzzles but I think it is a great idea to give extra credit points. Extra credit points usually help encourage everyone to participate.

I have used the word puzzles as homework, extra credit, but have not yet used them as fillers after tests. They have also come in handy to give if a "diciplinary issue" needs to be addressed and I don't want the class just sitting waiting for me to be able to continue....
I have not yet added in the holiday puzzle, but in my last class offered as extra credit for the students to come up with a new way to learn terminology. We are currently working on a Wheel of Fortune type game, similiar to hangman....

I haven't used a holiday puzzle in the recent future. Thanks for reminding me of that and your other great strategies. I appreciate it.

I use puzzles to keep my students alert this keeps their mind working.

I use Crosswords to reinforce the terms of the week. I usually split the class into groups and they have to complete them together without using any notes or books. I then give extra credit to the team that completes the crossword correctly.

Competition is a great motivator to students.

Sign In to comment