Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Terminology Games

I found that an activity called "The Bump-It" game has been rewarding for the students. You have all your students line up in front of the classroom and you have a variety of questions prepared for review. You ask a question and the first person who raises their hand gets to answer the question, if it is correct, that person can bump out the person to the right or left(they take a seat). The idea is to have one person standing in the end! The students go crazy over this game...after the first time playing, you will see that they will start to stratigize who to stand next to!

This sounds like a terrific idea...I can't wait to try it with my learners. Thank you, Kelly, and Happy New Year!

I cant wait to try this in my class Wednesday morning....It sounds fun for both me and my students. Thanks Kelly!

Hi, this activity sounds so fun for the students, I have to try it. It involves active learning and bumps up self-esteem in the learner and creates room for the other students to step up their game,motivation to learn and win.

This is a great idea! Can't wait to use this with my class.

That sounds like a great idea. I incorporate term into all of my medical classes and this sounds like a great activity

I have an activity game my students play. They seem to like it so far. I choose between 5 and 10 words. I get some large flash cards or I will print them from Microsoft Word. (Use large font so it is clear to read.) I then choose how to dissect the word. Maybe into a prefix and a suffix or a combining form and a suffix; depends on the word. I write the prefix on one card and write a number on the back. I will write the suffix on another card and write a letter on the back. I mix it up so they are not matching. Then I place them face down on the board so that the number and letters are showing. I will write the definitions to the words on opposite sides of the board. The class is split into two teams. The first team to match all of their words according to the definitions I wrote wins.

I hope you all can understand these directions. My students love it every time we play it. It's a memory and matching game all in one.

Great combo of games...thanks for sharing!

These are very interesting games to incorporate into the classes it will keep the students more alert in class and motivated to succeed. Thanks for the suggestions

This definately sounds interesting! I am going to try this in my class. Another game I have had success with is Jeopardy.

This sounds like a great game. I am going to try it with my students. It challanges them to be the first to answer a question so that they don't get "bumped".

What fun! I have collected articles from magazines and the newspaper which contain medical terms(we have a Dr. Gott who answers medical questions; Uses lots of terms.) I put the article in an envelope, with the terms used in the article written on the front. Some are interesting. Each student gets an envelope. They have to figure out the term. The answer is revealed in the article.

Laurel, this is such a great learning idea. Thank you for sharing it with everyone here!

I agree 100%, students are engaged,motivated and most definitely build their self esteem. It is always good to stir the pot and add new ingredients. for a better flavor. Adding new ideas and activities allways keeps them wanting more and coming back for more.

I agree, adding new ideas and variety can keep a class engaging.

That is a great way to engage with your students, I feel the more we engage personally with studnets the more they will respond to learning. Working as a team is always a positive outcome

Engaging with students is as valuable to them as our lecturing to them.

When I see students chatting or disengaged I like to play Pictionary of medical terms or diagnoses.
The students guess many ideas, which prove they are actually thinking and using information they
have learned somewhere and incorporating it.
The students laugh at each other and have fun - releasing the stress of the day, yet they have retained or learned something related to medicine!

Debra, I'm glad you have discovered the secret to engaging learners, which is to involve them with the content.

Michele Deck

I am always trolling for articles related to the curse material as well as random medically related articles. When I find something interesting I share it with the students and have them search for medical terms we have not covered in class and then they have to find information about those terms.

Sometimes we work backwards and have to come up with an illness or patient complaint that will then take us back to the term we just learned. Students like this because it makes them think logically.

Sign In to comment