Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Excited to try

I am excited to try a couple of the suggested learning games! I teach an evening class and toweard the endof the class I can see everyone getting sleepy. I think these games are a great way to get the students active, involved and AWAKE.

Yes, Stacy, they have to be awake to learn...hope these ideas help.

I have a early morning class and I think that using these activities will wake my students up. I look forward to trying some of the games with my students.

I really like the "Secret Identity" game. We are a small school and this lends itself to smaller numbers. Also, the definition game with the index cards. I plan to try both--not at the same time--during the course of the next six weeks. Will let you know how it works. Thanks for the ideas.

Good luck in using these new ideas. You will be surprised that your learners will stay engaged throughout because they are totally involved in the lesson with these.

I'm looking forward to incorporating a few of these games into my class next quarter. Both classes are fairly large (37, 46) so I will need to figure out how to tailor them to large groups and set time limits. Any suggestions?

Yes, break them into teams of 5 to 6 people. Pick a leader to be the spokesperson for the group. Pick a buzzer person to compete to answer, but it is the rest of the team that must answer the questions, not the person buzzing.

Teaching an early morning course and a late evening course is different than teaching during the times inbetween. These activities would be great for the first thing in the morning, as well as the last class in the evening. It also helps to break-up lecture time.

I agree these idea work best when your learners are at a point of low energy. These examples of involving methods can energize a group from within, so we as instructors are not the only source of energy in the room.

I can't wait for my class to start so I can try out the new games.

It's always nice to start off with a new group of people coupled with some new teaching ideas. Good luck, Kelly!

Dimitria,
I also teach an early morning class and a late evening class. I can't wait to try some of these activities.

I have early morning classes too and like some of these ideas to get us going in the morning.

Sign In to comment