Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How Do I Keep Dry Subjects Interesting?

When students ask me questions during clinical time at the hospital, sometimes I encourage them to do some research on the internet and then present on that subject in post-conference.
What are some other techniques for learning that can keep the students emotionally invested and involved?

Any activity that allows a student to apply the content in a real way to their life is a way to get them invested. I would also suggest ED311 which offers more interactive ideas. Thanks for asking.

I try to create games such as memory, or jeopardy, or baseball, or use shaving cream to practice vocab. just some suggestions.

Tricia, how do you use shaving cream to practice voabulary?

I agree with presenting real life applications of what I am teaching. Med term can be utilized in documentation as well as note taking and "just for fun"!

Real life application of med terms and other content assists the student in applying the content, even while still learning and reinforcing it. Using med terms just for fun is still reinforcement. Thanks, Linda.

I have my students do case studies and then we discuss them. I also review the case and ask questions...ie: why do you think this cancer patient needs frequent bronchoscopies...sort of like a "CSI" of medicine...

I would think the CSI approach would be a popular one with your learners. Thanks for sharing, Linda.

These are great ideas - we also play pin the bone on the skeleton! With some text are interactive power points and additional games. I encourage everyone to see what resources are available with your text book.

Noreen, I'll have to try you pin the bone on the skeleton idea. It is both visual and kinesthetic !

Since I am a doctor I bring real case studies into the classroom which stimulates many different ideas and points of view. I ask a lot of what you you do in this situation if you were the MA?

what is the baseball and shaving cream game?

This is an excellent real world approach. I know your students benefit from it.

Baseball and how to play it in class is detailed in course 311. I don't know the shaving cream game.

In my Medical Terminology class the students learn about body planes/directions/regions/etc...there are so many terms for them to remember and the students seem to get frustrated quickly. I will use yarn and have them tape the yarn to each other to simulate the various planes and directions we are discussing. Once I started using this activity the students caught on very quickly and actually asked if they could review it again before taking quizes or exams.

Carey, it is great to hear you have had success with this. I would continue to use this idea to teach this concept.

I find it extremely difficult to retain my students interest in medical terminology and coding. One reason I think is because the topics can be very concrete and dry. Also there is an overwhelming amount of material to go over in a short period of time; (my classes run 2x's a week for 5 weeks).

I have tried several strategies, I found the best one so far is to put the students into small groups and give them terms to look up and place on index cards. After that I have them read the terms aloud and then the definitions. I then scramble to cards and have them play memory in their selective groups.

I found this to be interactive, fun and helps to facilitate learning and trigger memory mnemonics.

Diane, this us a wonderful activity because it is student driven, which I'd a successful way to learn terminology.

Michele Deck

I agree with any strategy that involves real life applications or experiences. We retain and recall concepts (words or events) that we can relate to.

I agree with any strategy that involves real life applications or experiences. We retain and recall concepts (words or events) that we can relate to.

Sign In to comment