Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Games

I have used a game in my Med Term class that involves splitting the class into two groups and answering various types of Medical Terminology questions. I have found resistance from some students who claimed, they did not like games. I found that once we got started they really enjoyed themselves and actually learned or rembered things they thought they didn't know. Does anyone one else use games in their classes or have any suggestions for group activities?

The key with learning activities is to make them look like a game, but they are actually teaching methods without the learners focusing on them. Some of your colleagues have suggested doing "Word surgery" or "I play one on TV" in some of their posts from this course. There are other group activities in course ED311. Thanks.

Since "Medical Terminology" is a primary class, I recognize that some of the students haven't been in school for some time, or some are still "doing the best they can". So I set up a little activity that gears their brain or thinking into seeing how test questions can be made. They break into groups of around three. I find that if it is more than three, only one or two are doing the work anyway. Then they write 5 questions on the information just presented. One of them asks the rest of the class the questions and the class answers the questions. For incentive I let them know that if the questions are good, I will use a couple on the quiz.

Great idea, James! If they can write and answer the question, they take ownership of the content and are more likely to remember it.

We actually have a graded class project in which the students create a game and present them to the class. Best one that we have had to date was a survivor style med term game. The students had challenges set up to use the med terms i.e. an obstacle challenge in which they had to go up and under tables, around chairs, and various other things all using the med terms to complete/win. The students actually created team shirts even some available teachers from other classes. Students are still talking about that activity because students from other classes and programs saw the outfits and just had to ask. Created a lot of interest throughout the school.

Not only did this activity get students up and moving but it got them excited about the presentations and they didn't realize how well they were learning the information.

Kimberly, this is a great example of student involvement in learning. Not only did those who played the game learn, but the learners who created it will never forget it either. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful idea.

I have a program of jeopardy. I fixed it up for Med term. Sound effects and all.

Bet people like the sound effects. Some learners may have even wished to be on the real show, and this makes them feel as close to that experience as possible.

I also like to use games in the classroom to engage students. Some of the things that I have found that students enjoy the opportunity to compete against each other in teams.

As long as the competition is wholesome, it will be a motivating factor for students.

Flashcards are not for everybody, especially an adult learner. When teaching Med Terms, along with the excellent book resource we are using, I find that my students learn best when they can make it relevant and also by learning no more than 7 to 8 items at a time.

My class has 3 groups of 8-10 students each. I break each group into 2 smaller groups, give out 6 different colours of paper, ruler, scissors. I have math people figure out how many flashcards to make. Neatest writers write cards. Others verbally dictate terms. Once flashcards are made (give one hour/250 terms), students get 15 mins each day for next 3-4 days to review. I let them know there will be 25 marks/200 for medical terms to motivate(?) them. About 1/3 fail miserably. If I give 10 minutes over 6 days, will I get better retention? Or just bore them/lose interest with repetition?

Kathie, flashcards can be a great learning strategy. Since you are asking what I would do, here are my thoughts:
1. I'd make sure that the flashcards they create had not only words, but some picture or visual element that is directly related to the term. Copy some pictures and give them out with the colored paper.
2. I'd give them less time more often.
3. I'd also make it a competition between small teams and give out stickers or other small items for the team having the highest number of right answers per person. If you involve them in a competition, some will even study between classes to beat their friends.
Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

I have not tried this yet, but I think it would be fun to play "Liar's club" with new words. A panel of contestants at the front of the class would either give the correct meaning of the word, or make something up. Points would be given for students who could guess which contestant (student) was giving the actual definition.

Yes, I've done this before, and it does stimulate interest. The only down side I could find is that the questions tend to be overly simplified knowledged-based questions. It takes more work to make questions that are application-style questions.

Lynn, I hadn't thought of Liar's club as an activity, but will try it now. It is an excellent interactive strategy that can teach and reinforce.

It does take more time to write application style questions, but once you do you can reuse them over and over, so the time investment is a good one.

I play games similar to you......my classes are pretty big so I usually have 4 groups and we play jeporady or deal or no deal. The students seem to really enjoy it. Tomorrow we are going to play pictionary.............not sure how that will go because it will be our first time..........

Cindy, good luck with Pictionary. I have used itmwith great success, so I know you will, too.

I love using games... it keeps the students interested and it seems everyone wants to participate. I love using a "Jeopardy Theme" to review terminology usually before an exam. Hang man is another favorite of the students... we are currently working on a wheel of fortune type of game for terminology or whatever we can make work!

Sign In to comment