Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Crosswords & Mystery term

I have used crosswords before and students love this as an option, especially when it's open-book. They can get as many as they know off the bat then use the book for the others. I use it as a review tool. I think the Mystery term will be great to opener for a new lesson as each student tries to figure out the mystery term.

Secret Identity

I will definitely implement the Secret Identity activity. It will be a great game for learning, assessment and waking up students especially for my night classes where students are usually quite tired from their daytime jobs. It will also give me a quick cross-section of which topics/items are least and best understood.

Dicey

I have had an idea about a game... I went to the Parent/Teacher store and bought two dice... (the foam kind). I have 6 subjects.. one for each side of the die... 1. All about bones, 2. Let's move & regions, 3. All about the systems, 4. What's Right or Wrong, 5. Random ?'s, 6. Actions... Once a set of questions have been exhausted I go to muscle quesitons... the students choose teams (or I do) and I give about 30 seconds to correctly answer gaining a point for spa bucks! If anyone has any additional suggestions to better this LET ME KNOW!!!!

Student Engagement

I have seen some of these activities and I have to say I am excited to introduce a few more that I have just now seen... my question is how to engage a student who may either be tired (working long hours) or that feels this is very elementary for adults?

Using a bed sheet to teach T-cell and B-cell activation for Immunology

I loved the idea Michelle presented using the king-sized bed sheet for teaching the flow of blood through the heart. I am planning on using a slight modification to this for my Immunology class for MLT students next term. One of the difficult concepts taught in this class is how the T- and B-lymphocytes are activated and what processes they go through for growth (proliferation) and differentiation. I plan on having a neutrophil, a macrophage, a T-lymphocyte, and a B-lymphocyte on the sheet and placing velcro strips in areas where different processes take place. Then I will create separate items… >>>

Ideas for Pharmacology?

I like the ideas that are presented in this class, and I think that I will use some of them for my clinical courses, but my most difficult class to teach, and the one that students have a lot of axiety over, is pharmacology. I'm mainly lecturing and it's so much information. I would like to do more active learning. Does anyone have any ideas for how to involve the students more? I want them to understand the drugs rather than just memorize them. I'm thinking of using case studies, but I'd like to do more.

word searches

Word searches are a great way to help students spell terminology.

Koosh Ball Activity

The koosh ball activity sounds like a fun and energizing way to get the class involved.

Olfactory Senses

How we smell is not just a matter of hygiene, but a marketing tool. -- A light dab of perfume on a woman's neck draws a man in closer. -- An apple pie or cookies in the oven gives a potential home buyer a comforting feeling when first entering the home. -- New rubber floormats in a used car creates a new car smell. On a side note... My great Grandmother always smelled like Moth Balls>

Colors for the Blind !#?

Trying to explain colors to a blind person is very difficult. Trying to explain different shades of that color can be even more challenging. This is a great small group activity to get everyones brain stimulated. We can use water temperatures to explain the different shades of colors; the hotter the water -the brighter or darker the color shade; the cooler the water - the lighter or more softer the color shade.

Review games

I have found that if we play review games in class before a midterm or final, the grades of the students increase. I have started doing this in all my classes.

ED112

This was my best course by far.Before I became a Insructor I was was in my Field for 34 yrs. I love to tell them the stories of the things I have done.Their eyes become wide and thay have so many questions for me.I love to share with them.They allways come in my class and ask me to tell one more and I am very glad to do it.Thankyou for the great course

Creating learning enviorment

By involving students in class activities students tend to learn better. ( group learning)

Terminology Games

These games once introduced to the students really adds flavor to classroom, and the students are learning without even realizing they are learning.

Learning Activities

having such a diverse student population, when engaging activities are introduced studdents seem to learn better.

match cards

I would rewrite my notes to help me learn the information...match cards would be fun to try...

baseball, football and ball toss

keep doing the evolution multiple times until it become automatic...25 to 30 times...

tell show do

a way I was taught ...instructors who would lecture, and demonstrate and then we would perform the activity...then we would repeat...until mastered...

New Med/Term game ideas

I have so enjoyed this course. I have taught Medical Terminology for 7 years and fall back to the same activities that I have already adopted (its easy...), but now I am so excited to incorporate new games and activities that can be short in time but fun in activity! Thank you for this offering.

Medical terminology

By learning Med Term helps students to function better in the medical feild