Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Engagement

I have seen some of these activities and I have to say I am excited to introduce a few more that I have just now seen... my question is how to engage a student who may either be tired (working long hours) or that feels this is very elementary for adults?

Julia, not every learner will like every method you use to teach, so do not stick just to lecture. Give one or two of these suggestions a try.

Michele Deck

I have both young and older adult students who typically work during the day so, they arrive to class in the evening and they are usually tired. I try to incorporate fun learning activities, get them involved in lectures incorporating current events; more like group discussion. It's usually in a informal setting.

Nikita , you are wise to realize that tired people, coupled with the end of the day, brings lack of attention and sleep for some. Movement, discussion and involvement are the strategies to use. Keep up the good work.

Michele Deck

My suggestion for engaging the student is to keep them up and active, even thought he/she may be tired from working all day. Chances are that a physical activity will re-energize the "tired" student and make the learning experience more memorable.

Liza, if you do not keep them active, you can find some napping and daydreaming, as we have all seen in our classes.

Michele Deck

Engaging students in any physical activity during a long boring class is always a good idea.

Victoria, it is especially a good idea when the activity is related to the content.

Michele Deck

i have students in my class who get bored very easily. so the games will keep them awake and help in learning the topic.

Sultana, it is hard to engage some learners, but games can accomplish that.

Michele Deck

I love this section!!

Engaging the student, not only helps them retain the information in a fun way. It also gives the instructor a chance to come up for some air too. There are times the information is boring to us too! But it is our job to teach it.

I usually start my classes with drawings of the anatomy on the whiteboard have the students come up to label the diagram. It has worked out great for me and most of my students. Although I get a few protestors, I remind them this is part of their class participation grade.

I will definitely use the ideas in this forum!!

Tonya, you may have a few protestors in class with whatever strategies you choose, but I think making this a part of the participation grade is a great plan.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment