Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Review games

I have found that if we play review games in class before a midterm or final, the grades of the students increase. I have started doing this in all my classes.

I also like review games and find that variying the game types (hands on, bingo, jeapordy ect) helps with the different learning styles.

Elizabeth, it is good to have proof that these methods affect student test scores in a positive way.

Michele Deck

shaelyn, I'd like to thank you on behalf of your learners for offering a variety of methods.

Michele Deck

I have to admit that I have "played games" in my class less and less over the last year. I used to incorporate activities regularly. i was able to come up with ideas for classroom activities almost effortlessly and now it feels as though I am out of practice. I would like to begin to incorporate games and activities more often and know first hand how doing so positively afffects the dynamic in the classroom as well as the environment of the class. I am taking this course to restart those creative juices flowing and begin to incorporate activites regularly again! I like the idea of a review game instead of going over the study review which is what I have been doing lately.

Lisa, thank you for your honest self assessment. I hope this course reignites your desire to involve your learners with content activities in a new way.

Michele Deck

I agree totally. I also play review games with my students prior to all their exams. I often offer a few extra credit points to the winner or winners to get each student more engaged in the review.

Justian, we know that students love chances for extra credit. It's good to offer it in a fun and engaging way.

Michele Deck

I have discovered that review games create a very competitive drive in class. The desire to receive the highest score or the public recognition increases the student’s motivation to study and learn the material which increases their retention.

I have crazy ideas that I am willing to try more often then not....I want to interact with all of the students you know meeting them where they are. I try to think up fun things. Sometimes it feels a bit elementary but I try to make it not juvenile, yet it feels that way sometimes.
I believe if I incorporate a "game" more often then the students may be more accepting...

Julia, if you convey the purpose of the activity and approach it yourself with a sense of fun, it is easier to get the students involved. I sometimes quote statistics and share why collaborative activities work before I as the learners to participate. I also never do an activity I think is juvenile or a waste of time.

Michele Deck

I am teaching this class for the first time. I also feel and think that games would be VERY helpful in learning. As I get more familiar with materials, comfortable, and confident I can explore more. What are some games I can use as a first timer?

Gale, any of the described activities will work. Just pick one you like and start with it. Also, course 311 and 312 describe even more activities.

Michele Deck

I too have used a variety of review games, for the most part they have been accepted & liked by my students. I worry that they will be too elementry for the adult students, but I have received mostly positive feedback from the students.
I have also utilized an online forum to create study cards & the students can go on the website to play individual study games with the cards.
I'm looking forward to learning some new ideas for games/activities to change up the few games I use, as I don't want the activities to become boring.

Kimberly,it is a good idea to vary your activities as well as your teaching methods. Learners like some familiarity, but the same thing over and over gets monotonous.

Michele Deck

I have used individual and team games for test reviews, to monitor completion of reading assignments and just as the basis of lecture instead of page by page in the book. I especially like to use crossword puzzles. These are great for learning, as they aid in retention by writing it, seeing it and saying it; and it aids in spelling. It also helps them with critical thinking skills when trying to figure out what the clues actually mean. Of course, all students try harder when they know there are prizes :)

Crystal, I appreciate you sharing the success stories of your class. You have found something that works and you are using it to make the students successful.

Michele Deck

I find that students are willing to participate more when they know they are receiving extra credit points and they retain much more when they make learning fun.

Angela , if students can see a personal benefit to learning in class, they will be willing to take the journey.

Michele Deck

That's a great idea Ms. Bigelow. In fact, I used to do this when I first started teaching, and it was fun. The idea is one that will help the students to retain the info. Thank you for your posting because it provided a gentle reminder that I need to revisit this method.
I must admit that I slacked off because in the past, I had students that retained the information and studied hard for their exams futhermore aquiring good grades. But now, I have a class with a couple of students that just don't seem to get the simple stuff. So I will revisit this method after the holiday break to see if this helps them obtain a high grade on their final.
Thanks for sharing!

Lisa T.

Sign In to comment