Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Crosswords & Mystery term

I have used crosswords before and students love this as an option, especially when it's open-book. They can get as many as they know off the bat then use the book for the others. I use it as a review tool.

I think the Mystery term will be great to opener for a new lesson as each student tries to figure out the mystery term.

When you've used crossword assignments with terminology...how have you specifically encouraged collaboration? Or do you use it as an individual activity. Because with group assignments or collaborations...what ultimately happens is the students who already "get it" and the questions while their partners sometimes slide through

With many new vocabulary terms, especially within the topic of medical terminology, these word puzzles make great homework assignments or open book quizzes.

Gordon, these can make homework assigents more interesting, and add variety to reviews.

Michele Deck

I also have a diverse body of student. A take home crossword allows them time to assimilate the words without the possible embarrassment of being wrong in front of the rest of the class.

Martha, this is a positive way teach medical terminology without the student feeling bad about their errors.

Michele Deck

I've used both of these before too, often as part of their homework. I also use word scrambler that has the letters in incorrect order, definition of the word included so it's not impossible to find the the best answer

I also use these for students who get done quickly with an assignment or project and they are sitting with nothing to do. brain stimulation

I like using crosswords as homework/takehome assignments, it gives the students a way to actively match the terms with the definitions.

Kimberly, this thoughtful review allows students to descriminate between items that match and those that did not.

Michele Deck

I agree, I get more positive feedback regarding croowords when it is utilized as a group activity.

Lisa, having a group collaborate and learn to work with diverse people is good life experience, too.

Michele Deck

Using crossword puzzles for homework assignments is a great idea. I will also use it for those students who finish a project quicker than their classmates. It will keep them focused and hopefully off of their cellphones while they are waiting for their classmates to finish their assignments.
I think it is a good idea to use a group project too. In addition to learning new terminology, normal anatomy and disease processes, they will learn how to work with oters.

Great idea!

Tonya, I'm glad you like the crossword puzzles and will use them in a variety of ways.

Michele Deck

I am going to use the mystery term this quarter for my med term class. I think they will love it.

Sign In to comment