Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Charades

I love this game, and have never considered integrating it into Med Term. I think it will be a great addition to my classes in the fall.

RE: Additional Professional Role(s) Techniques ?

Are there any other suggestions/methods to build professional independence and appearance? Really enjoyed the Hygiene Hy-Jinx! Especially my Student-Success students.

RE: DOTS

This is a very interesting method. As an Army Reserve Medical Officer, I can utilize this "DOTS" system for various training modules as well as classroom simulation. A VERY interesting, inexpensive, and simple technique for training!

I'm all for fun

Any time the instructor can make a "dry" course subject matter fun, that's a good day. Of course, the fun activity must be age / subject related. Condescension is detrimental to a good learning environment.

Appeal to the individual

Some activities can be intimidating to introverted students. If the activity requires a shy student to an open response, I believe this may be detrimental to him/her. I'd prefer to offer written activities such as case history presentations.

College activities

I may be old school but some of these kinetic activities are high school techniques. I teach in a health science atmosphere that insists on correct terminology in context. We may repeat the terms many times in different circumstances but the students must and do learn them.

Remembering medical terms

I see my students for as many as 6 medical science courses. This gives me many opportunities to reinforce the usage of the terms.

text

I text my students even when they are finished with my class to see how they are doing

learning

I create a story to help my students remember for example some story about Alzheimer patient so they can relate and recall

loner

I spend one on one time with this typoe of student to build confidence and self esteem

Teachers

Bring a more exciting topic

teaching preparatory

It is fun.

games

Good for high school

Attention to learners's expressions

One should alway be attentive to the students personal experience brought to the class associated to a topic.

Past Present And Future Methods

Jeapordy Game Good response

Activity Feedback

I have ask students to make up a story using 20 med term words from one of the chapters in the book and read it to the class. This has been quite enjoyable and entertaining.

Sudent Response

I have had students use the name tag where they had to find their matches with good response.

Learner In Your Class

If I am in a diploma program I have to be in the class. I like teachers that are passionate about what they are teaching and use of variety of deliveries ie film clips, hands on, lecture, power points etc So I trust that I am offering the same things to my students.

Adults love stickers!

My adult students look forward to receiving stickers for work done well or for putting extra effort into their assignments. Stickers are inexpensive, can be fun and encouraging, and are easy to use. Many of my students group their stickers on visually prominent items, such as their ID badge or on a notebook cover. These collections act as a motivator and as a conversation starter for new students who ask, "where did those come from?" Stickers have often sparked positive competition within my student population.

Short class periods, strict curriculum guidelines

The school where I teach uses a 75 minute class period. Some of the classes are pure didactic, with large quantities of pre-written material to cover each day. We currently do not have the ability to use Youtube or other unapproved content within the classroom. We use a regular white board for lecture material, and there is very little freedom, time, or resources available to implement alternatives. Additionally, we often have 30 or more students in each class. What are some suggestions for ways I can appeal to multiple learning styles in a very dry, lecture-heavy environment, especially in a large group?