Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Interactive ideas

I really like the ways that were given to teach students steps for procedures, like CPR and Hemlich Techniques. Rather than just memorize the steps, which the students will forget, have then visually learn the steps and have something that they can relate to, which will trigger the memory of the task. Great ideas.

Learning new skills

I thought the ideas concerning health care education was great. Teaching the students how to listen to a story, then having them describe the persons physical attributes was great, it teaches them how to listen plus evaluate other aspects of the person. Very good for health care professional assesments of a patient. Great idea.

Very creative!

I love the ideas this course gives in order to teach critical thinking. Lecture and reading alone cannot do it. Many students are hands on learners, and most of these scenarios include ways to incorporate that. I especially like the one in which the students must listen to their partners and try to remember what was said. But in fact, the point of the whole exercize assess the visual aspect as well!

Make Your Own Affliction

One fun activity that I like to do, is have my students use prefixes, roots, and suffixes to create their own "ingenious" pathologies and afflictions. They then write them on the board and the class has to define the affliction. The one with the most right wins. Some of the "conditions" they come up with are absolutely hilarious.... but it helps them remember their terminologies.

The Edible Cell

This would be great to use when teaching Hematology, you could even make anemic cells, and polycythemic cells by adding more or less red coloring to the jello. Using various cookie molds you could even cut out the various red blood cell shapes seen in diseases such as in sickle cell anemia.

Dots

I like this idea, using red and blue dots.

Student participation

Could the students possibly create the word puzzles?

Student Participation

How do you get the disengaged student to participate?

Jeopardy Game

We actually use a jeopardy style to review. Every year our association has a student competition at the state level and then again at the national level (Respiratory Care) and they use jeopardy type questions. we like to do that in class as well, to get them ready!

Basic Structure of Word Roots

The best way to remember medical terminology is to make flash cards and learn prefixxes, suffixes and root words based o body parts. The student will learn by drill and remote training.

Basic Structures of Medical Words

The best way to remember medical terminology is to make flash cards and learn prefixxes, suffixes and root words based o body parts. The student will learn by drill and remote training.

Crossword Puzzles

Are used for extended-learning activities. The student is engaged and learning and will complete assignment because it is fun and they enjoy the process. Puzzle can be used as test, quizzes, defining terms, learning anatomy and body parts. Just about everything you can think of in the classroom to increase a learning concept.

Family Fued

This is a game that gets everyone involve. There are two teams and the team with the most points when. Each question has a value of points the last question will count more then previous questions. This will make it very competitve for the teams if one is losing.

Class Particpation

I believe student should be self learner and take control of their learning. How I try to foster this as an instructor is to get everyone actively engage. One way is using craft sticks with students name on it and pull their name randomly. This keep everyone engaged because they never know when they will be called upon. It also foster class discussion and a cooperative learning environment.

Foodies

We use food as one of the class projects in anatomy. The students choose a system and then create that system using different types of foods. The students are very creative in the food choices. We have had jello respiratory systems, pasta urinary tracts and GI systems made out of cake. The students label their creations with. The best part once graded we get to eat the project.

Using role play

I have used role play in the past to teach defense mechanisms. The students usually get a laugh while learning, which has helped them remember the defense mechanisms.

Charades

I have not ever thought about doing charades in the classroom before. I think that this can be a very fun and valuable tool especially in medical terminology. I will definitely have to try this one in the near future.

Crossword puzzles

I find that students enjoy doing these because it does not seem that they are doing real work. It is a way to lighten the learning atmosphere with something that is fun but at the same time, they are learning valuable information.

Term and Definition Matching Cards

I find this activity to be very easy to organize and execute within the classroom. This is not the only activity that I am going to use but it will definitely be one of the first ones that I try. I also like the ball toss activity because I think that over time, students will become aware of what happens and may in turn create more attentive students.

Planning for Student Differences

Have you ever had a Jabber, Integer or Loner in a class you taught? If so, describe one. What teaching strategies did you use with that person that was successful?