Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Crossed Students

For some unknown reason, my students are just about the only students that do not enjoy the crossword puzzle activities. Any suggestions as to why that may be?

Catering to Students' Needs

This is my first time teaching Medical Terminology and I had no idea about the wealth of active learning resources available for the course. I initially began teaching the class by lecturing and then engaging them in PPT classroom response questions. The feedback I received from the students prompted me to drop the lecture style altogether. They were receptive to the classroom response questions so I continue to use those - but have now incorporated in-class worksheets and group activities. They now have fun while learning and are actively engaged - no more 'bombies!'

FOOTBALL!!

As an avid football lover, if given the opportunity i would love to do this activity in the classroom. To make it more of a fun pseudo competition and learning event, have the students represent their favorite football team. Good suggestion?? GO COWBOYS!

Textbooks

Ideas from this class have been great in getting students to learn Medical Terminology. Any suggestions on what text books to use to suppleent this learning? I do not presently teach Medical Terminology. I am an RHIA and for the last eight years or so have been a Transcriptionist while raising a family. I am excited about the possibility of teaching Medical Terminology somewhere soon and utilizing some of the learning activities preented in this class. I love Medical Terminology. There is something to be said about knowing a "language" that others do not.

Virtual classroom vs. actual classroom

To my dissapointment, many Bachelor and Associate programs have moved away from actual classroom teaching of Medical Terminology to online taching. I would like to know what others feel about this.

Good Idea

I like the idea of the poster board with pictures of supplies and a spinning arrow. Often times we don't have all the supplies available and this is a great way to still get a point across!

Methods

I enjoy the whole brain methods. Visual and spacial learning hits more areas of the brain and are more likely to keep the learner engaged. (And the instructor awake, too!)

Crossword Puzzles

I can see how crossword puzzles would be beneficial to those who have little knowledge of medical terminology. It gives the students a chance to play around with the words privately before taking the 'risk' of public use.

Excellent Ideas

I really like the idea of using the Nerf ball to learn. I teach in the evenings so anything that I can do to get adult learners (safely) engaged and participating is a definite plus!

Class Participation

We have a policy at my school that's probably typical of other institutions - no cell phones allowed. Instead of calling the student out I usually just walk around their area. That alone usually stops the behavior.

Personalized word searches/crosswords

I have students create their own medical terminology word searches and crosswords to exchange with a fellow student. This allows them to participate on a every level.

Hangman

I've done hangman with our medical terminology words by giving hints after every wrong letter guessed. It works in a time cruch.

FYI-Poll Everywhere

I just discovered this after I had bought white erase paddles to use as a poor man's clickers. You can set up an account (PoleEverywhere.com), create a question, and then students can text their anonymous answers and it shows up on the screen! Students love it!

The potential of PEPSI

The example of the woman in labor shows an excellent use of PEPSI. I think an excellent way this comfort measure could be applied to students receiving instruction is in the skills lab. Some students feel discouraged and sometimes think they will never be able to perform the skill being taught; especially when it involves sterile technique. By applying the ideas in PEPSI, I think I can keep them motivated and in a positive frame of mind even when things are not going well.

Learning with food

One of the ideas I had was make students use baking goods to learn anatomy. The students really enjoyed the activity.

Crossword puzzles

I already use crossword puzzles for other classes that I teach and have never thought to use them in Med term.

Nurf ball game

I use the nurf ball in my class to get all students engaged in the activities. I have seen success coming out of the students who put full effort in participating.

Refocusing students

While teaching medical term I have to change up how I teach the course each time. My students are different each mod so I can't expect every student to learn the same way. So by refocusing myself based on the student needs is highly encouraged.

Gestures/Signs

I really like the idea of using gestures to communicate to the students during treatment of patients. By communicating with signs and gestures the instructor gets the point across without embarrasing the student or conveying to the patient that the student doesn't know what they are doing. It is a nice way for the student to get feedback without the patient knowing that something is wrong. I use it alot with my students and it seems to work very well.

Visual Teaching

I thought the ABG Go Fish and the Pulse Point Macarena were novel ways of getting the student to remember complex topics and remembering statistics. Great way of learning a sequence of anatomical structures.