Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ideas for Pharmacology?

I like the ideas that are presented in this class, and I think that I will use some of them for my clinical courses, but my most difficult class to teach, and the one that students have a lot of axiety over, is pharmacology. I'm mainly lecturing and it's so much information. I would like to do more active learning. Does anyone have any ideas for how to involve the students more? I want them to understand the drugs rather than just memorize them. I'm thinking of using case studies, but I'd like to do more.

Nicolette, case studies are an excellent idea. I also like to incorporate active reviews throughout so that students remember the content and are not overwhelmed.

Michele Deck

Nicole,

I use case studies as well and I find them very helpful. When I have a group of students and the case study method is not working I have them the Drugs into organized families and classes. The drugs within these groups share characteristics and, often, word structure. Memorizing the nursing responsibilities, indications, contraindications, client teaching and adverse effects of these classifications, rather than each drug, narrows the scope of what you must retain. I hope this helps.

Aki

Thanks, Aki! That does help.

I have students use their own medicine cabinets to help understand Pharmacology. They are to review their drugs from home, both otc and prescription then bring in their list to review and I come up with dosing situations in which they have to complete formulations for correct dosing.

I will try this. I am teaching pharmacology in April, this is a great idea. The students can get to understand their own medications to make it easier to understand their patients medication.

Tammy, this is such a terrific and relevant pharmacology activity. I hope others read this and are inspired to do the same in their classes.

Michele Deck

William, I'm glad this is one that you plan to use. It's personal connection gives meaning to medications versus just a name of a drug.

Michele Deck

I let them practice on the dummy arm first. let them practice with simpro tools and then they can practice on real patient.

Meher, you have outlined how you make it more complicated and realistic at each progression. That is a great plan.

Michele Deck

I lecture about the medication first, but then I also have students make flash cards of each medication and them group them together by classifications. I also conduct a lab so they can actually see the different delivery types and colors associated with each medication.

Aprilyn, you are tapping into all the learning styles with this approach. Keep up the great work!

Michele Deck

I like for the students to make flash cards, and i also give them colored printouts of the medication packaging so they can have a visual of the real thing.

Rachel, using the real labels helps to "anchor" content in memory.

Michele Deck

I am going to print out drug cards from the internet and cut them up by section (side effects, nursing interventions etc.) and have the students put them together like a puzzle. Pharm is a very difficult class for teacher and students

Erin, this is a great idea. Might you color code different classes of drugs with the puzzles also?

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment