Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Reporting

Just wondering what you would recommend in this situation: a student has not officially reported a learning disability, but then mentions it to you in a casual conversation? -Jennifer

Teaching is a Dance

The presentation of material to Gen Y students seems to work well as a orchestrated dance. I now incorporate movement into my lectures. What I mean by that is that I move all over the classroom during a class session. Sometimes I'm in the back of the room, the side and the front of the classroom. While I'm moving around I find that I get more engaged with my students. They never know where I am going to be so they are more alert and attentive. Any thoughts on this?

Adapting to the Gen Y students way of learning

Coming from the boomer generation it is often difficult to adapt my teaching style to this current generation. How do we change to meet the needs of our students? I certainly could use some thoughts in this area.

Working with a generationally diverse staff

I think this is interesting as we have different teachers teaching the same content. The methods, lesson plans and sequence of instruction was established and is continually updated by the director, not the teachers. Can systematizing a curriculum and instructional plan for GenY students create problems of delivery and effective instruction if not written by the teachers of different generations? Can continuity be maintained the other way? What are your opinions?

Visible and Invisible Disabilities

Visible disabilities are one thing invisible disabilities tend to be overlooked, partly becasue individuals that have them are trying to hide them or they are not acknowledges and accomodated by the instructor( When applicable).

Generation Y'ers

I have noticed that students from generation Y do have an attitude that they are going to be successful and see education as a means to get where they want to go, however they are not always able to determine which information is relevant and which isn't in their career area. They don't always "see" the important connections among the different functional areas of business for instance.

Team-based assignments

I have moved away as much as possible from the lecture method in the classroom. Instead I have to as great extent possible to create group projects that require the students to do research in a particular area and report their findings to the class as a formal presentation. It gives them important practice in key communication skills they will need after they graduate and get a job.

Facebook

I understand that many students are on Facebook. Our university actually has a Facebook page as well. I have been recommending that students use Linked-in because it is a professional site. Does anyone else recommend to their students the Linked-in option?

Generation Y

I typically incorporate experiential learning activities through the use of simulations. Has anyone else found them effective in engaging Generation Y'ers?

Multi Tasking in the classroom

Over and over I have heard of studies that find multitasking is really just doing many things poorly. Our society has a concept that multitasking is something that shows productivity when it really results in a lesser work quality. Does anyone think we should promote and teach single tasking and focus?

cell phones in lab

I enjoyed this module relating to the Y generation students. I have noticed,it is harder to manage cell phones in the lab environment. We have rules about the usage of cell phones in class and lab, but it has become harder to mange due to the increasing amount of technology that is available. I would prefer for the students to not use their cell phone for anything during class or lab, but again, when they are doing certain labs they may need a calculator, I think we can go on and on about the rules of not using cell phones… >>>

ED201

Wow ! This was a great one It kept me on my toes I learned so much on this one just the signs of disabilities It really made me think back to some students I have had in the past with some problems I may have missed or maybe they did not know why they were having problems in school.

Generation Y

Try incorporating a fun Ipad savenger/itnernet hutnt exercise in the classroom. You can work in teams and only need a few Ipads.

Generation Y & cell phones

Distracting in classroom and provides a platform for cheating. I can't see much benefit from allowing them to be on or in sight within a classroom setting.

Generation Y

I read somewhere that a survey of Generation Y's was done and that if you simply just bring an Ipad to a meeting, they will respect you more and/or interact with you. Also read that they tend to not have direct eye contact and they also prefer and trust the older generation vs the boomers.

Generation Y

There is a book on the best sellers list titled 'My Reality Check Bounced' that is all about Generation Y and is excellent reading.

acting out

Most of the time when a student acts out I find its becuase they are frustrated or embarrased . I have had all types of disabled students to deal with but I have seen some of the same problems over and over . You have to reasure them and stay calm.

PTSD and the veteran student

I have found many more cases of PTSD with students that are returning war veterans now then in past years. They tend to be on edge, jumpy or nervous. Often times they feel depressed and that they are wasting their time in class. I had one such student who was feeling very stressed, anxious, and very scared. This was a very large man who had been a solider. He was embarrassed that the crowd in the school could see him this way, which made matters worse. The technique I used to calm him down and get him back into class… >>>

Social/Affective Strategies

All of my students are adult, English language learners. Our model is lecture-discussion followed by a practical exercise, and then a student presentation. The lecture-discussion does what it is supposed to do, present the concept or process and allow questioning and discussion. Naturally, ELL tend not to ask questions in a large (24-36 students) group. We then break them up into small groups, being sure to not have two students from the same nation together (so they are on an even footing with respect to English), and then give them a group problem to solve using the concepts presented in… >>>

Learning Environment

In my English Composition classes, I attept to create a comfortable learning environment. By using humor in the classroom, and often pointing out my own mistakes, I try to ensure a comfort level for ELL studnets as well as beginning writers who are unsure of thesmselves. I incorporate peer review and journaling into the coursework, and I like to allow the students to learn from one another. Through presentations and sharing of their written work, students are encouraged to express and respect one another's diversity.