Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team-based assignments

I have moved away as much as possible from the lecture method in the classroom. Instead I have to as great extent possible to create group projects that require the students to do research in a particular area and report their findings to the class as a formal presentation. It gives them important practice in key communication skills they will need after they graduate and get a job.

Sean,
I too have tried to limit my lecturing & incorporate more activities, discussions, etc.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find some of my students resist this because they don't want to be reliant on other for their grade and also they just want to get things done and not have to wait on another. However, I find other students that really seem to enjoy group activites.

The class seems to go better if I lecture less. The class is in groups the whole time and they know that their grade doesn't come from the group. The more activity they have the better they do, and the more fun they seem to have.

Heather,
I have found this to be true as well. It is important that students learn to work in groups as many careers now require this aspect of working in teams.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I keep the lecture to a minimum and try to provide more hands on as the way to get through most of the students .

antonio,
this is a good strategy. I've also found that breaking up the lecture with periodic discussions, activities, etc & then returning to the lecture is a great method to keep them engaged.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also incorporate a number of team-based assignments. One strategy that I use when having teams answer multiple questions (e.g. discussion questions from the chapter) is I have them answer each question as a group, as opposed to allowing them to split up the questions among the group. As knowledge is socially created, I find that students benefit from their teammates perspectives - even if they would rather split up the assignments.

Since I teach oral communication classes, performance is crucial in the class. In most, if not all of my classes, a 30 to 40 minute team presentation is required. During the presentation, each student must present a portion of the presentation to receive credit for the project/presentation. In addition to a group presentation, small group activities, class discussions, short lectures, personal assessment activities, individual student speeches, video clips, and other relevant activities are incorporated in my classes. In other words, I try to have variety and performance in my classes. One of the things I notice in recent years, is that the number of students with high levels of communication apprehension (nervousness) is increasing and it is harder with Generation Y learners to "get them to come out of their shell." They are comfortable working with technology, but very uncomfortable talking with people or giving a presentation.

Janet,
this is a great strategy to challenge the students & also provide a variety of assessment methods.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, group projects are the best way for this generation to learn.

Don,
Gen Y students do seem to really enjoy the group projects & the discussions. It is important that we give them good instructions & guidelines to maximize these opportunities.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I too find students who want to resist group activities. I remind them that team activities are also a part of most professional work environments. When I put it in that type of perspective the students usually find more value in working in teams. I have heard some students say they take team activities as a preparation for real life team interaction. What other ways have some of you helped students realize there is value to working as a team?

Maren ,
this is the primary way & I would add that even if their career path does not involve teams, we are on so many projects/committees/groups throughout our lives that the skills are invaluable.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment