Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Multi Tasking in the classroom

Over and over I have heard of studies that find multitasking is really just doing many things poorly. Our society has a concept that multitasking is something that shows productivity when it really results in a lesser work quality. Does anyone think we should promote and teach single tasking and focus?

Nancy,
I think it means we have to get clear on what we mean by multi-tasking. True multi-tasking is not as efficient & effective. However, if it means making good use of the time you have, then let's teach them those skills no matter what we call it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes - mostly it relates to uses of technology, and I have observed a notable difference between Gen X and Y on this front. Gen X students, while technologically savvy, are better at "turning it off" when necessary. The students who seem to have been born "wired in" are far more easily distracted, and will often create work that lacks depth and focus. Going against the grain of multitasking and putting an emphasis on focus and depth is a greater necessity for Gen Y students.

Andrew,
this is definitely true. I think a big part of it is helping to see the value of turning off the technology & truly listening to & tuning into others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I completely agree that that they have a hard time turning it off because they were pratically born with a cell phone. I try to incoperate into my lessons as much as possible.
Shana

Shana ,
I like this approach & I believe it helps them see that you are willing to work with them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I sometimes have situations with students trying to multitask in my classroom. I mention to the student that they should remain focused on the information being given and not working on something else at the time (productive work)Their response is that they are listening to what is being discussed and will reply correctly when a question is directed towards them.
Though it seems as they are not engaged, should I let them manage their time as effectively as they see fit or should I insist that focus on the single task ?

Ronald,
this is a challenging situation. I would lean toward insisting that they focus on the task at hand. First of all they need to understand that this is perceived as rude behavior & that can hinder them professionally. Secondly generally we're not as good at multi-tasking as we think.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have a low opinion of multi-tasking as I too have read studies stating that people who multi-task think they that they can work just as well with split focus but in reality, do not. However, my classes span all the generations and I would like to know if Gen Yers are genuinely better at multi-tasking than the other generations. Are Veterans the worst at multi-tasking? Also, I've heard, in non-scientific discusssions, that females are better at multi-tasking than males. True or not?

I completely agree with both points here. If someone is "multi tasking" me (ie: texting when I am teaching or talking while they are meant to be working on an assignent) I find it rude and think it is a bad habit. And students are never as good at it as they think. I believe it is part of our job not only to teach them the skills, but to prepare them to behave professionally in the work place.

Dennis ,
yes & while it's rude & can harm their grade now, it can cost them their job in the workplace.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Studies I've looked at indicate that students think they can effectively multi-task. However, seldom can they be effective in every task they attempt. When it comes to studying a text, say a poem or essay, it is always best to focus on the text itself. However, I allow students to look up unfamiliar words on their gadgets. Also, I encourage them to investigate the author's life and career online before they read.

Dennis,
I think this shows a great balance in your approach. You are right in that multi-tasking has been shown over & over to actually be less efficient & effective as some think. I also like your use of the cell phones when appropriate.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I would like to propose an experiment that any of us can do if we have two sections of the same class with students of comparable abilities; let one run wild with their phones and devices, and crack down on the other section, maybe even have them put their phones in a box, and compare test scores at the end of the semester.

I am sure there are studies done like this, (where does all this info on multi-tasking come from), but if the students see for themselves that there is a real change in performance, then it just might sink in!

Ed,
this is definitely an interesting idea for an experiment & I think could definitely produce some interesting results.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

At the beginning of the course I do an assignment, splitting up the Y gens into 2 groups, one of which is to read all those facebook links and also listen to me, to do while I'm doing a brief lesson on a subject of current interest, the other to listen intently on the subject item. After 10 minutes I stop the lecture and hand out a brief quiz on what I discussed. The average grade on the quiz is 94% for the ones listening intently, 45% on the ones doing facebook. My point is the show the students that they really can't effectively multitask.

Bernie,
this is an excellent activity & exercise & hopefully really drives home the point to them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment