Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Facebook

I understand that many students are on Facebook. Our university actually has a Facebook page as well. I have been recommending that students use Linked-in because it is a professional site. Does anyone else recommend to their students the Linked-in option?

Sean,
yes, I highly do. I try to help my students see that it really has a different function than FB as Linked-in is meant for professional networking.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is the first I have heard of Linked-in and I will have to check it out. Thank you.

Heather,

I am at a shock as well. I did not know that either. I will have to check that out too.

I use and recommend using Linkedin to my students from the very first day of their career at school. It is one of the best ways to use a networking site responsibly.

Robert,
I agree that this is a great site to direct our students to so they can start connecting professionally.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sean,
I am a firm believer in LinkedIn and professional social networking. Both business and skilled trade individuals alike can benefit from posting their educational and work experience. There are so many organizations that are connected with social networking and utilize it as a way to network and connect with both active and passive job seekers. There have been several occasions in which I have received job and/or relacation offers merely on the information posted in my personal LinkedIn account.

Peter ,

I agree that LinkedIn is a great resource we now have at our fingertips. I think this is a great assignment for our students to have them build a profile & then connect with us & the rest of the class.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Certainly. Linked-In is used by many, many professionals in this region.

I have seen other teachers use this, I would like to try to bring it in on the next course. We have presentaions and I think we can look at each others presentations then use this forun for a group discussuin.

My students like facebook but I let them know linkin is professional and facebook is more about socializing

Linkedin is one of the best networking resources that I would highly recommend my students utilize to start connecting professionally. Also facebook can also be used as a networking tool as some of the people there announce job openings where they are employed and there is always someone looking for a job and they might have the qualifications so these sites have their advantages but they can also have their disadvantages as well to which some companies forbid the use of social networking due to the profanity and unprofessional contents that may be posted on there.

Our college discourages instructors from having a facebook presence available to students. Rather they encourage using linked in. In all honesty, I can't keep either one current unless I specifically set aside time. I'll chat and message, but postings are few and far between.

Our campus discourages facebook and student connections. I use Linked-In for profession and Facebook for personal

We as faculty do not accept FB or Linked-In requests. We do have a Campus FB page and then our students routinely set-up their own FB group page and have discussions on that.

Ashlee,
this is definitely a personal choice (unless directed by administration) some instructors have found a really great way to connect to students in this way, others choose not to for personal reasons.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is an excellent idea, even for those learning a trade. Perhaps by creating a profile based on being a professional rather than filled with pictures, videos, and fun activities and trying to be funny and hip, students can learn the value of these things.

I work for the State of Utah and teach online. With my state job there is a policy that if someone posts something on Facebook that links to another page and is not in line with the state requirements both could be terminated. We had an employee lose her job for something some said on their own Facebook page but was linked to there page. It's better just to avoid it so the push is not to be linked with professionals on Facebook. Has anyone else had problems or situations come up?

Maren ,
I think this is a good story to pull into a career development/prep class as an example of how employers view facebook & other social media sites now. Too many students I encounter have the attitude of: "it's my page so it's private & I can put whatever I want to on there." This is a terrible, but prime example of how this is not the case.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

absolutely, we also inform our students that face book can be potentially negative in that perspective employers can view and make hiring decisions based on their profile.

Sign In to comment