Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Y

I typically incorporate experiential learning activities through the use of simulations. Has anyone else found them effective in engaging Generation Y'ers?

Sean,
I have personally & I always try to couple them with a good, strong debrief.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sean,
I have personally & I always try to couple them with a good, strong debrief.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yes, simulators give them an idea, but the hands on activity is most successful for my students!

I can see where playing certain video games, such as flying war games can provide a skill that may crossover to a persons ability to remote pilot a drone over the middle east, but to say I have reached the pinnicle of playing Angry Birds. How about a persons ability to add 2 and 2 together without the use of a calculator.

In my area of instruction (Medical office administration), the simulations offered by textbooks are helpful, but they do not replace actual experience in the field. Students realize the value of what they are learning once they go out on externships/observations in actual offices and see the skills being used each day.

I, myself, am a Gen Yer. I agree with the generalities spoken about my generation. The use of technology and group work was something that I desired in my education. I am now teaching at the school I attended. I have a business management course that was taught previously by a baby boomer. One thing I changed upon taking the class was "the business/layout " plan from individual graph paper drawings to the class breaking into groups and having them design an entire salon/shop. I have them give me detailed information about what type of equipment and products they will use. What it will cost etc.... They can either use power point or poster or even make up a small model. It takes a "boring" assignment and makes it "fun". It's unanimous the response: "wow, it's going to cost a lot more than I thought and requires a lot more work". It helps them to get a real life picture of what ownership will actually look like. The project is relevant and fun.

Sign In to comment