Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Environment

In my English Composition classes, I attept to create a comfortable learning environment. By using humor in the classroom, and often pointing out my own mistakes, I try to ensure a comfort level for ELL studnets as well as beginning writers who are unsure of thesmselves. I incorporate peer review and journaling into the coursework, and I like to allow the students to learn from one another. Through presentations and sharing of their written work, students are encouraged to express and respect one another's diversity.

Hi Erica, thank you so much for your post. Using humor creates a comfortable environment for ELL students; they feel at ease and encouraged to learn. As part of the comfortable environment, a word wall can also benefit all students, especially those with spelling concerns. Based on your comments, it seems like your students definitely have a fun, caring learning environment. Thank you for going the extra mile to ensure the success of all your students. :-)

I use some lecture, but try to engage the students using a question/response approach between the student and me and among other students (a friendly Socratic method). I assign group projects and have the students discuss their results to the class. This keeps the students engaged, working with each other, but not overly focused on English use. The focus is on producing a cogent product.

Hi William,
Thank you very much for your response. Lecturing for short periods of time will definitely keep students engaged on what is going on in the classroom. Since language is learned from trial and error, every possible opportunity for cooperative learning should be provided. Fostering a friendly environment will allow all students to feel at ease and to improve on their interpersonal communication skills. It sounds like that is the environment your are providing for your students. :-)

I also like to have the students work in smaller groups on tasks as much as possible, since they are less on stage, and gain more speaking time than would in the larger group.

I have found that by wondering around and by clearly making myself availible to help, (rather than hovering and looking for things to correct) helps them feel that they are safe to make mistakes.

Finally, I like to give my students ways that they can practice/use/implement what we are covering later that day in the real world since the real practice is more motivating and is recalled better than drills alone.

Hi David,
Thank you for your response.
Collaborative/group work is a safe learning environment for ELL students; gives them the
confidence to express themselves without worrying about making mistakes. It looks like you are definitely setting your students for success; your students are getting the skills they need in the real world. :-)

I try to keep it interactive so I get feedback from my students and know we understand each other. I also give each student as much one-on-one time as I can.

Hi Anna-Marie,
Thank you very much for your response. Getting feedback from students and keeping the interaction going on in the classroom definitely set the tone for a positive learning environment. Peer collaboration is also encouraged, as it allows the students to feel at ease while making mistakes. Students feel more successful when they have that one-on-one time with their instructor and that is exactly what you are doing. :-)

I teach an acclerated class in English (6-week course)where students are approximately 75% ELLs and 25% have poor English skills. One method I have found is while lecturing to insert errors while I talk. The error should contain something about what I teaching at the time. The student who catches the error gets a reward. This keeps the class alert and focused as well as providing some good humor.

Hi Wayne,
thank you for your response. Allowing the students to find/catch/listen for errors while lecturing, will definitely keep the students alert and would reinforce their listening comprehension skills. As your students develop those skills, they will feel more confident in speaking in a group setting. Thank you for keeping humor while teaching-it allows your students feel at ease while learning.:-)

I like to try and learn as much about my students cultural background as possible and relate to them at that level.

Hi Christina,
thank you very much for your response. While learning as much as possible about our students, a comfortable learning environment is very important. Allowing those times in which the students can feel free to express themselves in the targeted language is extremely important. Understanding one's cultural background, empowers us to create that comfortable learning experience. It looks like you are doing that. Thank you. :-)

I agree with what you are saying about group work, but I have found it also provides a place ELL students can hide from their language issue rather than overcome them. Since grades are based on the group's efforts, they often self correct and this takes the learning opportunity away from the ELL.

In group learning, I always try to monitor the group and structure the assignment so individual contributions are recognizable.

I use short lectures, followed by a question/answer session, followed by a fun learning activity that addresses the information just learned.

Hi Amy,
Thanks for your response. Keeping it simple works well for many students while they work on their confidence level.It seems like you are making sure your students learn while having a fun learning environment. :-)

Hello Sandra Mueller. I try to keep an environment free of cultural judgment. Some of my students have a different way of saying things, considered by some others to be very blunt. Bluntness is possibly a strongly positive speaking behavior for the minority students in my class. For example, what is an undesirable behavior for me, a Western person, may be a positive behavior for a person from Eastern Europe. In such case, there is potential for conflict and misunderstanding. I try to actively listen to the bluntness as though it is honesty in its purest form. Since I teach students who must function in critical care environments, communicating with physicians and nurses, I also try to encourage the "blunt" students to soften the message delivery. In a Career College, we train students by giving them more than medical facts. We wish for career success.
Respectfully,
Phil Finch

The kind of environment that I create is one of understanding and acceptance. I want to make sure that my students understand that no one is going to judge them when they make a mistake and that I am there to help them succeed.

The learning environment, I create for my students is based on lowering their anxiety in the classromm so they can interact more naturally. As soon as I meet them I try to relate to them in different ways so they can feel more confident to speak freely without fearing to make mistakes.

Hello Jaime,
Allowing students to feel at ease is key to success in the classroom. The sense of "I am not afraid of making mistakes, because I am not the only one," works tremendously in the classroom. As educators we have to remember what it was like when we were students, and furthermore, these are ELL students. Thank you for what you are doing for your students, I am certain you will continue to see greater success. :-)

Thank you very much for your comment. I really enjoyed taking this course.

Sign In to comment