Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adapting to the Gen Y students way of learning

Coming from the boomer generation it is often difficult to adapt my teaching style to this current generation. How do we change to meet the needs of our students? I certainly could use some thoughts in this area.

Marco,
one of the best ways is to learn more about the generation & the general characteristics. Also, study about a variety of teaching methods is a great practice to help you reach all learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I try, very hard in the classroom to use examples of relevant persons and events that my students can relate to and not just follow a text or syllabus.

By using a prominent figure that has a high profile in the students mind validates the point I am trying to make.

Paul,
this is a great idea as it connects to real life. Additionally, there are more ways to incorporate tech into the teaching as there are probably video clips, etc that could be used.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Paul,
Where would I find videos that help with generation Y learners.
Thanks ShanaVazquez

I also try to show my students how the past links with the present and how their present is going to link with the future. They start to understand the relevance of things around them much more easily.

Robert,
this is a great strategy as it helps them develop those bigger picture conceptual skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that many students will respect you still even though you may be different from them generationally.

Chris,
yes, as long as we treat them with respect, I've found Gen Y students to be respectful in return.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Chris,
yes, as long as we treat them with respect, I've found Gen Y students to be respectful in return.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. I am very late Baby Boomer/Gen X and have never had trouble relating to my students and gaining their respect. I also agree that showing respect to them goes a long way in receiving it back. I find that working to know and understand things (pop culture, current events, and generational challenges) that matter to them can also make a positive difference.

Dennis ,
yes, we don't have to be an "expert" in what interests them, but being aware & interested in their lives goes a long way. Don't we want the same from them?

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I do the same, Robert. Many of my student have a sincere interest in "history," and see things from a different perspective through my eyes. It makes for extremely interesting and thought provoking discussions! :-)

Laurie,
and I have found this generation loves the discussions & seem to learn really well as a result.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found the more I can link the information to real time stories, the more they tend to remember it

Jennifer,
yes, the real life examples & stories are a powerful way to demonstrate the applicability of a course & keep them interested.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

That is a great idea. Using a prominent figure who is important to my students as an example to really help get my point across. I will definitely make it a point to try this tip.

As an Instructor,I realize different styles of learning for students all cannot learn the same way.

Specifically, teachers need to text message. It is the best way to contact today's generation of students. I also make sure they to text me first as it is the best way to contact me, then follow up with a call or face-to-face meeting.

Ann,
I agree that we need to be ready & willing to engage this generation in the way they are used to, however I am also cautious to say that these are personal & sometimes corporate decisions so we need to be cautious of generalities.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment