Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Y

I read somewhere that a survey of Generation Y's was done and that if you simply just bring an Ipad to a meeting, they will respect you more and/or interact with you. Also read that they tend to not have direct eye contact and they also prefer and trust the older generation vs the boomers.

Kathleen,
I think we don't have to be total "techies" but we do need to demonstrate a comfort with technology & not be antagonistic towards it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree as well, there is no need for us to know or to have the latest new iphone or idevice, but it is good to have a common knowledge of whats around us to better be able to understand our students and to gain knowledge to potentially make our lives easier as well. Take for example the Ipad, it has made my life so much easier in my business life, my teaching career and my private life.

Tomoko,
yes very true. Don't kill yourselves trying to tweet, post to FB, stand in line for the new iphone...Stay up to date with information & most importantly with uses.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe that I cannot preach technology unless I use it. I firmly believe that if you don't utilize technology, then you aren't seen as authentic.

I allow students to use their tablets, laptops, and smartphones to assist with class, which allows them to find out information ASAP. They just love the instant gratification!

Laura,
I agree that we need to be setting the example of the life-long learner.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think since generation y'ers parents raised them in an atmosphere of structure that classes with similar structure and planning would benefit them. Also, they can relate to a class that constantly keeps them busy and maybe doing different things at the same time.

I think that is very true. Engaging students on several levels at one time. I had never before thought about why my nursing students think I should have their exams graded and posted quickly until I read the statement that they are used to instant feedback. And they truly are!

Denise ,
and it's a constant battle to balance the desire for that instant feedback with keeping ourselves sane with a manageable time frame & work load.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment