Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching is a Dance

The presentation of material to Gen Y students seems to work well as a orchestrated dance. I now incorporate movement into my lectures. What I mean by that is that I move all over the classroom during a class session. Sometimes I'm in the back of the room, the side and the front of the classroom. While I'm moving around I find that I get more engaged with my students. They never know where I am going to be so they are more alert and attentive. Any thoughts on this?

I agree this is a useful technique. Moving around, inflection of tone, and occasional comparison to interests or common trends all are effective ways to gain and hold attention of Gen Y students. Jokingly, I often refer this to new instructors as "show business." If Gen Y students are not consistently engaged, they often lose focus.

Agreed. Not only do I move around my classroom, but I also do it in a big way. I make large gestures with my arms, I crouch down, I lower my voice only to raise it again to emphasize a point. Then there is that moment of tension when I stand perfectly still just long enough for them to hang on the edge of their chairs for that last bit of information to conclude my point. It is almost like adding a theatrical flair to the class. It helps to keep their attention and even gets them involved as well.

Robert,
it really is that theatrical or storytelling element that keeps the class engaged.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also like to walk around the room and find that the students are less likely to multitask on their computers when I am standing behind them and can see their screens.

Good idea. If they never know wherer you will be next they might keep alert. You can slao make sure they are not doing anythin nefarious in the back rows.

That's funny, I do the same thing. The reason I do it is I'm like to move around, can't sit still for very long. I love that you call it dancing.

Chris,

yes, I think the movement around the classroom helps keep all students engaged & focused.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. Like the module says, the Gen Y students bore easily when not multitasking. So it is up to the instructor/teacher to keep things interesting for them.

Movement, as well as weaving in a few current terms keeps the classroom alert and engaged.

Sign In to comment