Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

acting out

Most of the time when a student acts out I find its becuase they are frustrated or embarrased .
I have had all types of disabled students to deal with but I have seen some of the same problems over and over . You have to reasure them and stay calm.

Daniel,
Just want to make sure -- you aren't suggesting that only students with disabilities act out, right? I agree that it is often from frustration rather than bad attitude. But that is a problem that plagues lots of students. I don't want to see students with disabilities stigmatized as the only ones who ever lose their cool!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

You are correct it is not just students with disabilities that act out or lose control it is all types of students. I have found that some students with disabilities can control their fear and temper better than students that do not have a disability. I have also found that students with disabilities are the first to ask for help or speak up when they don't understand the material.

Jessie,
I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about both the potential and the participation of students with disabilities. Just remember that there are huge variations within the "group" that is students with disabilities, just as there is in any other group. Some students with disabilities are perfectly comfortable with themselves and their disability and have no qualms about asking for help. Others are a LOT more shy.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment