Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

cell phones in lab

I enjoyed this module relating to the Y generation students. I have noticed,it is harder to manage cell phones in the lab environment. We have rules about the usage of cell phones in class and lab, but it has become harder to mange due to the increasing amount of technology that is available. I would prefer for the students to not use their cell phone for anything during class or lab, but again, when they are doing certain labs they may need a calculator, I think we can go on and on about the rules of not using cell phones in the lab, but it is hard to manage the rule when we have so many uses of the technology that benefit the students.

As things change we must adapt. High Schools are alowing the use of cell phones with internet in the classroom. We also have rules on the use of cell phones to avoid extraction of testing information. As a result a no phones rule in the classroom or labs. Being on the verge of going full computer has had examples of hacking etc making it an issue going forward.

David,
this is definitely a challenge that we face. Sometimes we need to treat them like adults & professionals & explain that they may use their phones for certain aspects, but trust that they won't abuse the privilege.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree, my very first day of all my classes, I let known that no one is to use any cell phones during class and they need to keep it on vibrate during class. I also write on the board "No whining, complaining, excessive noise or food of any kind permitted".

James,
I do think you need to establish the ground rules at the beginning of the course & stick with it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I'm with you on this one Dave. Calculators would be one of the many tools that would be beneficial to use during class/lab. Unfortunatley I'm sure we have all seen it snow ball from calculator to you tube to Angry Birds in a short time.

Interestingly, our administration is noticing an increase of students, using their cell phones to "take notes" in class. However, it is somewhat frustrating to instructors as many feel that students are texting instead of actively participating. Also, it stands to reason that taking notes on a small device may not be the most effective means to take notes. Perhaps, a consideration could be made for laptops and/or Ipad units for easy data transfer.

James,
I have noticed this too. It is definitely difficult to monitor & police to make sure that students are on task.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We recently ran into the same problem where a teacher was allowing students to take notes on their "smart phones". The interesting outcome was the director's strong adverse reaction when she was informed about the teacher's initiative. I can now better understand and appreciate what happened between the Boomer (director),the X'er (teacher) and the Y'er (student.

Nadine,

yes, these generational differences help us understand these type of workplace conflicts as well as the teaching situations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. We do need to establish ground rules in the beginning and stick with it. I have tried to do that and it has been difficult. I have had students using their phones hidden from me in class. Some will leave to go to the bathroom and out in the hall are using their cells.

The rule I implemented in my classroom about cell phones is no cell phones out during lecture, unless I specifically ask the students to look something up that we are all unsure about that came up in discussion.

We have also had issues with cell phones taking pictures of exams. Till now, we have had lots of problems with this issue--and some students just ignore the rules no matter what. It is almost like they feel cheating is OK if you aren't caught. Must we start using high end equipment to block these folks?

Establishing ground rules is very important. It is also important that the other instructors are enforcing those rules.

Thomas,

you are so right here; consistency in all settings is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree that this is a difficult subject. Cell phones allow students instant access to the infinite knowledge that can be found on the internet. The apps can also enhance the learning objectives in the classroom. However, instructors cannot always maintain control if the students are goofing around on Facebook, texting, etc. Tablets and lab computers provide the same potential problems for distraction. Even before these technologies, instructors had to deal with students passing notes to each other when the teacher's back was turned. Students who know sign language can communicate to each other without making noise (unless they are laughing). I believe students will always find ways to goof around. Yet, if the teacher has the talent of performing engaging presentations, perhaps the distractions will be lessened.

I also have this same problem whit cell phone use and its not going anywhere when I discuess using the internet or tell of a web site that might help my students with there course some on on it before I'm done speaking and there correcting ME I use this as entertaing part but the phone is asked to be put away in past i would talke the phone and display it on the front board and have had as much as 8 - 10 phones which only translates to more funny as the will text to the phones I have ugghh

Henry,
You hit the nail on the head; Allowing the use of a smartphone merely as a calculator will more likely than not result in trying to beat the next level of Angry Birds. Just to share a personal experience: I recently took some online classes, and at times it was hard to avoid the draw of all the other reasons I use a computer. When I should have been doing assignments on a Sunday (Which just happened to fall on the same day as football), I was adjusting my fantasy football roster. It's hard to blame students for this, because the draw to wander off into the internet or games is overwhelming for many; so avoidance of allowing the use of cell phones altogether is most likely the best strategy for eliminating any distractions.

Peter ,
you make a great point here. While the allowance of smart phones, ipads, laptops, etc is up to the instructor or school policy, we do need to remember that even those of us who are older are susceptible to distractions.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

While I agree that teaching students of this generation means "keeping up with the times" I find myself still holding to the rule of no cell phones out or on. It's a distraction to all. Whether or not they're using it for educational purposes, it still takes away from the fact that they "plug-in" somewhere else, while their mind should be right here, in the class room.

I understand what you mean about technology being needed in the class room. I really do. But it's not all up to the student to stay on top of the latest gadgets and gizmos to enhance their education. We as teachers are responsible for that end. So if there's a new computer program I think my students will do great with, or if there's a video on youtube that will help drive my point home, you best believe I'm going to use that avenue to teach my students. We don't have to be afraid of technology...we just have to be smart about it's use in the class room.

Sign In to comment