Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Y & cell phones

Distracting in classroom and provides a platform for cheating. I can't see much benefit from allowing them to be on or in sight within a classroom setting.

I might change my mind about cell phone cameras.
One student used his to take a picture of lecture
notes on the board. Even if he had issues about
writing down the notes, he still had access to
the information to study from after class.

I agree that cell phone use needs to be carefully monitored, but I do believe it has a place in the classroom. Besides, if not allowed at all, the students will just be distracted by feeling "diconnected" and try to be sneaky about it.
In the culinary classroom setting, I allow my students to take pictures (but not post to FB!), to use the timer, and to use the calculator. I also occasionally have everyone look up a topic on the spot.

Amanda,

yes some subjects do allow for limited & controlled use of cell phones for sure.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find the same in our class room. Constant interuptions effecting the class.

I like the use of cell phone cameras just for them to take pictures of notes. I would usually play a word game with index cards and have them match the definition to the word. Once they have successfully matched them up and we have discussed it along the way, I allow them to take a picture. Writing it down and note taking takes time so pictures are quicker and give them the time to absorb the discussion as they are matching up the word associations.

We dont allow the usage of cell phones inn the classroom or lab because it becomes a great source of distraction , instead of paying attention to the class subject they will go on you tube or some other source and look at irrelevante stuff .

Biggest problem: used to cheat on exams. Next problem: indicates extremely short attention span. I fully understand their need to stay connected, but they have to fully understand the need to stay focused on the job at hand. Students display the same behavior "on the job" as they do in class. Do you really want your surgeon "on-line" while working on you? Not all students are like this. I have noticed, however, that the most successfull ones are those that use phones the least during classtimes. I believe in a classroom that replicates the business world as closs as possible in regards to manners--so does that mean I am unlikely to successfully connect to younger students? Of course not. Instructors and students have to meet somewhere in the middle to achieve the end goal----graduation. And, by the way, I believe more of us (instructors) are pretty close to being "digital natives" than you may believe..we kept up with the new stuff as it came out. Perhaps social manners during class time are my real problem...?

I agree with the other posts that cell phones can be very distracting and used as a means of cheating. We typically do not allow cell phones in the classroom but I find that many students will try to use them anyway.I can usually tell if a student is "texting" during my lectures because their eyes are looking downward and their hands are in their laps. I believe there is "a time and aplace" for cellphones but not in the classroom.

melanie,
I agree with you & generally am very intolerant of the use of cell phones in class. One person I know who conducted corporate training referred to the looking down as the "blackberry prayer."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

For many of my students, a cell phone is a computer that just happens to allow phone calls. Some of my students are using their cell phones as their backup storage device, as a way to take notes, and as a camera to record notes on the board or make copies of handouts. I have to be extra careful that the phones are not accessible during exams.

BIG TIME they only lead to cheating and distractions I do make it clear on the start of new classes I will treat them as adults If you need to make or take a phone call/text please excuse your self and go out side the class room door and do so BUT be profecional about it and be back as soon as possable its works 95 % of the time some just don't get it

My schools policy is that cell phone use is prohibited in class.I find that enforceing this policy,with Gen-Y students to be extremely difficult,due to there apparent addition to these electronic devices.

David,
yes, one of the biggest lessons we can teach Gen Y students is the professional & courteous use of phones.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This is true. I find the same stumbling block. It seems hard for some of them to pay attention long enough to get anything meaningful from the lesson.

James,
unfortunately attention spans are getting shorter & shorter.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We teach barber/cosmetologist students to keep their cell phones put away because it takes away from their customer service .

Lindsey,
yes, this is an excellent point that needs to be made especially to those who will be working in customer facing roles/careers.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Distracting in classroom and provides a platform for cheating-I agree it.

Sign In to comment