Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social/Affective Strategies

All of my students are adult, English language learners. Our model is lecture-discussion followed by a practical exercise, and then a student presentation. The lecture-discussion does what it is supposed to do, present the concept or process and allow questioning and discussion. Naturally, ELL tend not to ask questions in a large (24-36 students) group. We then break them up into small groups, being sure to not have two students from the same nation together (so they are on an even footing with respect to English), and then give them a group problem to solve using the concepts presented in the lecture-discussion. Lots of drawing on white boards and flip charts, animated discussions on the meanings of words, and then great peer learning happens. We reinforce the exercises with presentations by the small groups to the larger class, being sure to ask everone over the course of the week to present (not just the strong English speakers).

Hi Richard!
thank you for your comment. ELL students should feel free to make mistakes while learning, an environment in which they can express their thoughts and not be afraid is the best setting for the students. Based on your comment, it seems like, that is exactly what you are doing in the classroom. Asking everyone to do a presentation is great practice--it allows the students to sharpen their skills and gain the confidence they need in the real world.
Thank you, for caring about your students' success.:-)

I think that this depends on the culture from which the student is imbedded. Culture is not one dimensional, not all of the individuals react in the same way, so we must entertain the emotional structure of the students universe as well. I use social/affective strategies in Live Chats, and the DBs (Discussion Boards).

Social/affective strategies undoubtedly prove most helpful to ELL students when they are required to produce work—and thus earn a grade—while working with other students either in pairs or small groups. While working individually, students are free to discover their own “best practices” for mastering course material; while working in groups or pairs, however, they must discover ways to coexist and collaborate, and so their recognition and management of their own emotional reactions becomes critical.

Mark A. Coppelli

Since I teach in the clinical setting , most of our learning is either hands on or takes place in group discussion. The small size of my group means each student gets personal attention frequently.
One student I had, a recent immigrant from China, and I spent many hours talking to him alone and in group discussion,in attempts to explain cultural differences and help him see the differences between China and the USA--which were huge.
I can see that keeping a journal would have been very helpful for that student and a feelings list as well

I teach an English class that prepares students-both ELL and native speakers-for required Composition classes. As part of the learning process, I have the students interview each other in order to generate questions to be answered in a writing journal. I try to pair ELL students with a native speaker that I feel is supportive to their situation. I also have students work in small groups as often as possible. In this manner, cooperative learning is combined with some social interaction.

I find that role-playing is a helpful way to engage students who need practice in their conversational skills, and as long as the classroom climate is comfortable and safe, it is an effective social/affective strategy that builds vocabulary, oral interactions, and nonverbal communication. Journaling also is a comfortable way to express feelings and improve writing skills simultaneously. Finally, talking about one's culture informally in class is a highly effective social/affective technique, I have found.

In what situations do you think social/affective strategies are most helpful to your ELL students?

In my ELL classroom, students sometimes need to express their feelings and doubts concerning American culture, traditions and everyday life-style. In addition, they need to adjust their social skills to include others into their work and as active part of their learning environment. Strategies that I use in class are discussion and questions and answers on topic, as well as pair grouping to complete class assignments.

mayda,

Excellent, once students can interact with others they can evaluate their understanding of the American culture. Group discussions allow students to see that others are at the same level, are also confused and have the same questions about the American Culture. Once they can see where they are then the students can move to the next level of understanding.

Arlene Muller

Social/Affective strategies are useful in most educational situations. For instance, a student from an Asian culture is very concerned with family honor and pride. Thus, an instructor can use price and student reward systems to motivate the students to practice a skill or do an assignment. By the same token, an instructor can use social strategies with individuals who come from very social cultures, such as Latin cultures. Thus, creating assignments and class activities where the students have an opportunity to learn from peers helps the students stay engaged in learning.

Jelitza,
I love that you get the Social/Affective Strategies. All students arrive at our classrooms with different backgrounds and cultural influences. I really like how you have taken these insights and created student activities. Students learn when they are involved in activities with other students.

Arlene Muller

I find that response journaling is an excellent strategy for students--I encourage them to be as personal as they like without penalty.

--Kate O'Brien

Kathleen,

Excellent, I also used the journaling activity in my classroom, however, I like your strategy without penalty. Giving students to learn always works.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment