Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Working with a generationally diverse staff

I think this is interesting as we have different teachers teaching the same content. The methods, lesson plans and sequence of instruction was established and is continually updated by the director, not the teachers.

Can systematizing a curriculum and instructional plan for GenY students create problems of delivery and effective instruction if not written by the teachers of different generations? Can continuity be maintained the other way?

What are your opinions?

Ruthie,
this is a very good question. Whether it poses an issue from a generational perspective I would say that you have to watch as we all tend to design & instruct according to our preferred learning methods. So looking at the material & seeing how it is written is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I feel that the focus on the subject at hand is the most important thing. By meeting with other teachers from different generations and collectively establishing a curriculum that engages the current Generation Y. Along with short stints of lecturing, coupled with getting them involved, hand on, with the instruction through open discussion and feedback will help to keep their attention.

The word ‘generation’ tends to mean different things in different contexts. In the context of an HR strategy, ‘generations’ are four age groups defined by social and political events during their younger years. The oldest of these groups is called either the Traditionalist Generation or the Veteran’s Generation, and we talked about them in a previous post on Pearl Harbor day last December. Their youth was defined by the Great Depression and World War Two. Children born as late as 1945 are considered part of this group because those events had long-lasting effects that shaped their view of authority.

Steven,
you are right that the term "generation" means many different things as do the generational labels. We must be careful never to stereotype or pigeon hole anyone into a particular group.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Andy,
brainstorming with peers & colleagues is a great way to improve learning methodologies.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Interesting that when we speak of the needs of our generationally diverse student body we also need to be aware of our generationally diverse colleagues. All of our differences make for a challange to curriculum delivery unless you are aware of the differences and use them to raise your skill set and therefore opportunities for the students.

While systemizing a curriculum and instructional plan can be a great tool, one of my favorite parts of teaching in the classroom is being creative and revising assignments after getting to know the students and their interests. If I have a large group of students in a particular major, then I might revise an assignment for them. I use a lot of handouts to supplement the ones in the textbook so the students can also be creative instead of following exact steps.

I like the diversity that is in my class, we have a mixture in age groups. It's funny how the older group tends to be the nutures of the younger ones. There is also a big difference in study habits and quality of work done. for example my older students tends to have their assingments done ahead of time whereas my younger students like to wait till the last minute but they tend to get upset if they don't make the highest grades possible. So we stress to them the importance of not just doing the work but putting some time and effort into it.

Yes, I agree that all generations have good ideas to bring to the table with their individual experiences, just as everyone has different learning preferences.

Tania,
and it can be very exciting when we help each other tap into the diversity & potential that is all around us.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree! We have a number of faculty and staff members from different generations and it is always interesting to see the material from another point of view. I try to incorporate new ideas from them as well as my students (who are just as diverse) so that my teaching style meets my students' needs.

Patricia,
and what a great opportunity to use your peers as a "test audience" for your ideas.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment