Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Y'ers

I have noticed that students from generation Y do have an attitude that they are going to be successful and see education as a means to get where they want to go, however they are not always able to determine which information is relevant and which isn't in their career area. They don't always "see" the important connections among the different functional areas of business for instance.

Sean,
this is a great observation. I would agree that this generation seems to connect well with the real, tangible value of an education in getting a job, but the big picture thinking isn't always there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with your observation, Sean. I notice that Gen Y-er's expect instant gratification in many forms and automatically assume they will be successful simply because they have a degree. However, I think they quickly realize that they have to work harder to achieve their dreams. I believe this generation is very resourceful and does not get "stuck" in a certain career path. Having the internet at their fingertips and being exposed to a more worldly environment helps them be creative and think of alternative ways to achieve their goals.

Lucille,
these are great thoughts & a great perspective. While the instant gratification thing can be frustrating with this generation, as you said, they are also very resourceful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In addition to being resourceful, they also seem to have a belief (which, admittedly, can morph into hubris)in their own ability to succeed almost by will alone. This can be both frustrating to watch and refreshingly hopeful all at the same time.

Johnny,
I agree with your statement here. There is a certain degree of confidence, which if we can channel that in the right direction can be very helpful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree they have an attitude, you have to be patient with this generation

I agree but with these students they need to see the big picture. Once shown the importance I feel they then do a very good job

we live in a "institaneous" world. Sometimes it is frustrating to deal with people that have the attitude that if they have to put effort into something, it's just not worth doing.Those types are the one's that I get the greatest satisfaction of getting them to put the effort in and they can see the results.

Sign In to comment