Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Test results

When dealing with the Gen Y students, I find they continually want instant feedback when it comes to testing. I have many students, and it takes time to correct all the tests we take on a weekly basis. Students are continually asking, "Can I get my results today?" or "Can I know whether I passed my test by the end of the day." I have no problem letting them know that it will take some time to grade all the papers and that I will get back with them as soon as I can. However, it does make the student… >>>

Excellent topic

Very relavent to my school

Emai;

Has proven to be a big success in my school; but not all instructors know how to take advantage of it

As A Boomer

I have to agree with this evaluation of my generation.

Teaching Real Life Skills With Cell Phones

As educators, we teach more than just informational content. We are expected to teach students the skills that are required of them once they move on to the workplace. One of these skills is giving their attention to the person leading the discussion. This could be the project leader, manager, boss, CEO...whomever. I usually just remind my students that taking a call or texting during a meeting is a good way to get unwanted attention and could lead to them being fired. It seems to work. What other things can we say to encourage professionalism and respect with cell phone… >>>

Gen Y and Paying Attention

I'm a Gen Y myself and teaching a lot of students who are mostly Gen Y. A question I have is with all the technology that Gen Y has avaible at their fingertips, that during a lecture, sitting and focusing on a subject, it becomes difficult for the student to focus. I've seen this happen to many students. But if you get any of the Gen Y students working on something with their hands their focus is 100%. Is it possible that Gen Y is predisposed to ADD and ADHD because of the reliance on technology and having everything available… >>>

Technology in the classroom

Personal technology in the classroom has been a difficult one for me to incorporate. In the beginning I was worried that students would surf the web, use Facebook and check email rather than work on courses. However, I found that personal tech devices have allowed students to be more engaged in learning. Thanks! Ward

Gen X and Gen Y

Reading the differences between Gen X and Gen Y learners plus Veterans really hit home for me. This is especially true as I use the computer to take this course. Distance learning is something that I have adapted to over time but has taken some getting used to on my part. Online education is a clear difference between generational learners. Ward Logan

Requiring Certain Abilities for Career-Specific Programs?

I am concerned that my program may have established some discriminatory practices before I became program director. In particular, we have students in our program sign a form upon their admission that verifies that they will be willing to perform within certain physical, sensory, and mental guidelines. This is a medical field and a physically demanding job. Sensory skills, including visual, auditory, and tactile abilities, impact their ability to perform the duties associated with this job. Is this in violation of the ADA? If so, what do I do about it?

Students Who do Not Want Help

How do you help a student with an obvious disability if every suggestion you make about getting them accommodations, they turn down?

Disability right to know

I am a collage instructor of a heavy industrial machine class I have to work with students with all kinds of accommodations and disabilities I see a lot of vets who got injured overseas It is an honor help people learn no matter what the disability is . Recently I have been told that we will have students with support dogs in our school. My issue is that we are not told at all what the dog is there for and what special circumstances might arise I am worried about the dog being a distraction for all the students especially… >>>

Boomers

I think it is fascinating how boomers interact with Gen X and Y in a classroom. They have a completely different way of learning and a much longer attention span. How are do you balance the short verses long attention spans in the classroom environment well without losing some students? I use this site as a resource for boomer info: http://www.nextavenue.org

deaf student

I have a deaf student in my class who requires interpreters. they do a fairly good job of relaying highly scientific lectures. However, we have a hard time getting the student involved in class. He is naturally very shy, but also his disability puts up a barrier between him and the other students. He would much rather have private conversations with his interpreters than communicate with other students. We've talked to the interpreters about not having side conversations, but the student is still reluctant to join the class. How can we get him more involved without forcing him into a… >>>

Reading Directions

A point was made in this lesson that rang really true with my experience teaching automotive technology. Gen Y learners don't read manuals! I'm technically a Generation Y'er myself but I cannot for the life of me understand others my own age not reading instructions. When it comes to making adjustments or repairs I must constantly remind students to follow the directions manufacturers provide. Most of my students prefer to learn from trial and error. Unfortunately in this field that will most certainly result in damage to vehicles or yourself! I believe teaching students to read directions may be one… >>>

Issue of discrimination under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.

Does anyone think that the question of discrimination under the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is appropriately applicable to Skills Colleges, given that they do not receive federal funding?

Testing in College Classroom

How Do You handle testing in the traditional post-secondary classroom where time limitations are imposed with ELL students?

Critical Thinking

At the end of a given chapter my students are to answer a critical thinking question. These questions are usually composed of 3 or more parts each related to the initial topic. The students are required to give clear and concise answers to each part, explaining how they arrived at their conclusions or opinions. Simple statements without explanation results in a lower grade for the exercise. This teaches the students to assimilate,review,and analyze the information rather than just collecting and reciting it.

Methods for guided discussions and teaching practices

I see Gen Y learners as very interested in knowing why something works. They are more interested in the reasons than if it works or not. Giving students a voice is key to any sucessful learning experience.The most important element in this method is the confidence that students have and the ability of the instructor to allowing a student to be wrong but not foolish.

Dyscalculia & Time Management

I have been teaching for 6 years & have never heard of dyscalculia. It's amazing to me that I have probably had several students with this disabilitly & didn't even know about it. I probaby had it growing up. I wonder if it's something one can out-grow or learn to manage. I think that people with dyscalculics often have a related difficulty with telling the time, using a calendar, and therefore also with time management.

My old School Approach with a new Twist

The way the world works today one has to be informed and savy about the techno age. I do use the modern methods, but I give my students alot of personal experiences and group discussions to teach my classes. I find that my students are so involved with their tech life that they appreciate the more personal touch. I certainly get more of their attention and thus greater retension of the material.