Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reading Directions

A point was made in this lesson that rang really true with my experience teaching automotive technology. Gen Y learners don't read manuals! I'm technically a Generation Y'er myself but I cannot for the life of me understand others my own age not reading instructions. When it comes to making adjustments or repairs I must constantly remind students to follow the directions manufacturers provide. Most of my students prefer to learn from trial and error. Unfortunately in this field that will most certainly result in damage to vehicles or yourself! I believe teaching students to read directions may be one of the most important "skills" I have to teach.

I am in total agreement. Reading directions is a skill that needs to be taught in every aspect of automotive technology.It seems the Gen Y student wants "the easy way out" I like to call them the Google technicians if they are having trouble locating information in the service information system they will use the Google search engine.

Tom,
well said from a Gen Yer! Unfortunately the idea seems to be that "I don't need no stinking instructions!" We must understand the process, not just the end result.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Tom,
well said from a Gen Yer! Unfortunately the idea seems to be that "I don't need no stinking instructions!" We must understand the process, not just the end result.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have to agree Tom. Very often that students begin diagnosis following the directions and within the first couple steps they begin to shy away from direction and start shooting from the hip looking for the quick/easy way out.Other times they dont follow direction from the get go. Many of the students struggle trying to read therefore go their own route.

totaly agree there but what i have foundis that when you finally teach them how to read instructions then they cant think out side the box at all they say but the book said

I disagree. They're not really looking for the "easy way out". I believe that they're looking for their own way to make it work. They want to prove to their peers and instructor that they're capable of doing something on their own, right after they were taught.

The thing we have to look for is, when do they really need the instructions. Following their work is essential for some industries, just to make sure that while they're training to work on clients, they're getting it right, one, so their service is spectacular, and two, so they dont potentially injure the client.

They may not "need instructions" but I find that by making a test where you have to read everything carefully, puts a stop to them wanting to speed through things.

i hate to say this, but if you gave many gen y students a task that they had to complete based on reading and following directions, most would fail. in one of my courses i have outlined step by step a procedure using a scan tool to find certain information, in this procedure each step is outlined and the EXACT BUTTON TO PUSH is given to them, even with this i still get asked " what do i do now". simply reading and following the steps 1 by 1 they could find the information.they do want the easy way out, most are not willing to work for it.

We must teach them that in the automotive technology, the manuals are very important for correct diagnosis. I try to explain that time is money and the manual will get you your answer faster than any other method.

i totally agree Brandon. I also believe that as a technician you are never going to remember every procedure for all the different manufacturers. So not only getting the correct information is key but also wear to find that infromation is key.

I find this inability or unwillingness to read and following directions in my communication classes, especially during the public speaking section. Each student has a manual with instructions and examples on how to prepare a speech. Sample outlines and forms are prepared. To supplement the manual, I designed an outline form that students simply need to fill out and use for their beginning speeches. During class, I even orally emphasized the importance of using these tools and following the instructions to help them design their speeches. In addition to the manual and my forms, I offer to meet with the students are an individual basis to help them in preparing their speeches. Very few students take me up on my offer. Despite all of this, the vast majority of the students do NOT follow the examples or the form and do very poorly. Some "get the message" and do better the second speech; however, many still do not and continue to do poorly, even when the tools and instructions are provided. Some of the problem may be in the lack of critical thinking skills, but some of the problems seems to be the unwillingness to take the time to read, following instructions and learn.

Janet,
this does seem to be a problem with this generation. They seem to want things spoonfed to them rather than thinking through for themselves.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

What frustrates me the most is that when we do lab exercises, the lab blows up and the student just gets frustrated and gives up. When you go to help them get back on track, you find the reason it blew up is because they did not read the steps or the missed a step! I know making errors is part of learning, but when they do not attempt to resolve the error on their own first, they are not learning anything. It all goes back to instant gratification and the need for it to just work! Unfortunately in the computer field, sometimes things do not just work, and the Gen Y folks hate that!

I completely agree! My students see reading the instructions as a waste of time.....until they can't get anything to work. I teach computer application classes and the textbook walks them through the material step by step. When a student calls me to their desk for help, they readily admit that they didn't read, just jumped right to the "hands-on" part of the assignment. We need to stress the importance of following directions (the first time they are given!) in all of our classes -- definitely will be needed in the workplace.

Cheryl,
I think sometimes if we let them jump in & then backtrack them to the instructions this might help.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Tom,

I too have a similar situation with some of my Gen Y students. I teach several automotive classes and in one of my transmission repair classes we supply all the appropriate manuals and a instruction sheet to follow that we sign off on after all critical steps. I find that they do not follow the sheet in order at times and they always ask me is this what I need to be doing? I find it frustrating because in the field I was taught to gather information for the repair but they are given the information and can't follow it! They could follow it if it was on an IPhone though they would pay attention. While this all being said I do try to link and show them service manuals in paper and digital ways too as allowed by my institution. On the other hand I do have alot come back and say I wish I followed you more closely.

I have found the same thing. I address this in class and comment that the best techs go to the book first. I also encourage them to look at the book whenever they are doing anything the first time, simply to familiarize themselves with the task at hand, as well as to not make mistakes that can cost them money or a job. I also tell them by looking at the book first, they have the potential to make more money.

I concur with all the above about these kids not being able to follow directions. I put a lot of time and energy into step-by-step instructions for my intro to computing classes, and constantly keep hearing “what do I do next?” They must be getting tired of hearing “read the directions!”

Why do they do this? Something must have gone bananas in the lower grades, beginning with elementary school. I haven’t taught in a primary school for 3 decades at this point, so something must have changed in the meantime in the methods, starting in first grade to have a generation of kids who do not read the instructions. There must have been a huge paradigm shift in the ‘90’s and oughts’ in the lower grades for this to have taken hold.

Anybody have any insights?

How can a situation like that be prevented?

Sign In to comment