Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Issue of discrimination under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.

Does anyone think that the question of discrimination under the Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is appropriately applicable to Skills Colleges, given that they do not receive federal funding?

Harinder,

The schools and colleges at the skills or vocational levels may not receive Federal funding, however, many vocational and post-secondary students do receive Federal Funds. Another area of importance in the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is the awareness of different cultures. It assist us in viewing all cultures and cultural contributions from the foundation of equality first.

Arlene Muller

I know that in the healthcare field, which includes skill based approach, students are eligible for federal funding. I also believe that the spirit of the law is as important as the letter of the law regarding affording all students equal opportunities to be successful in the academic environment.

Sherry ,

I admire your integrity! AS educators we are allowed to interpret the spirit f the law, however, the courts are held by the letter of the law.

Arlene Muller

As an educator, the student comes first and though the written law might say that it is only applicable to students receiving federal help, I believe that all students should be given a safe environment in which they can learn and progress.

Shari,
Your words "safe environment in which they can learn and progress." You say it all. I absolutely agree!

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment