Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

deaf student

I have a deaf student in my class who requires interpreters. they do a fairly good job of relaying highly scientific lectures. However, we have a hard time getting the student involved in class. He is naturally very shy, but also his disability puts up a barrier between him and the other students. He would much rather have private conversations with his interpreters than communicate with other students. We've talked to the interpreters about not having side conversations, but the student is still reluctant to join the class. How can we get him more involved without forcing him into a situation that he is not comfortable with?

Nicole,
I suppose the first question I would ask is whether it is IMPORTANT than he interact with the other students, or whether it just seems like it would be more natural (he would be more "included") if he did. If the class RELIES on student interaction, then I think you have to force the issue. I would remind the interpreter that he/she is supposed to be as invisible as possible, and then just speak to the deaf student (and expect him to respond) in the same way you would any other student who wasn't fulfilling their participation responsibilities. If, on the other hand, there is no participation REQUIREMENT, only a feeling that it would be nice if the student was more interactive, I would look for small ways to encourage that interaction (for example, deferring to the deaf student for the answer to a question in class that you know he knows, so that he can show the other students -- through the interpreter -- what he is capable of), but I wouldn't push it too much.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I my self am hard of hearing and i will say that over the last 10 years i have learned to deal with it much better and not feeling like i am not included with what might be going on or being talked about . i have learned to take my time talking about the topic slower than normal and most student will stay with me.

Michael,
It's always nice to hear stories about how someone has learned their own compensation strategies that work for them in making their disability a "neutral" in their lives. Glad you have found a way to work around what could otherwise be a significant gap in your information base.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment