Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My old School Approach with a new Twist

The way the world works today one has to be informed and savy about the techno age. I do use the modern methods, but I give my students alot of personal experiences and group discussions to teach my classes. I find that my students are so involved with their tech life that they appreciate the more personal touch. I certainly get more of their attention and thus greater retension of the material.

I agree. I also search and find things on the internet that pertain to a much deeper lesson about personal conduct and mindset in the work place. There are many resources out there are relate directly to success outside out just the lesson at hand in the class. Topics on, how to communicate, perception, and idea sharing.

Andy,
this is a great example of the value that we can find in the technology that is out there if we look for it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This sounds like a great idea I cant wait to use in class. I think i will grab their attention much more longer also. Thanks for sharing.
Shana

Since I teach Business, I Make the final exams a 20 minute power point presentation in front of the class, then we disscus the topic and presentation. It exposes them to the real word of business comunications,and allows them to use thier technologies in a real word application. They love it.

stephen,
this is a great strategy & as you said, allows them to practically apply what they have learned.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find that texting is a great way to keep in contact with students. They are usually very appreciative of text reminders for important dates/ events or just to check up and see how they are doing. (I teach at an online school).

Lucille,
I agree I also text with my students. I am very careful that it is strictly related to the business of the course & I also realize that not everyone is comfortable with this. You would definitely have to make sure this is a decision you wanted to make.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I would never text with a student. Who has the time.

Hi Chris,
Actually texting them is a great time saver. I use Google Voice and I can plug in five numbers at a time to send quick reminders for assignment reminders, lecture schedule changes, and other important updates. They are appreciative of the convenient contact method.

Chris,
it definitely is a personal choice, but sometimes it's more time efficient to reply to questions via text rather than email.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am often hesitant to give students my cell phone number. I fear the excessive intrusions. I do find that using twitter to send out information to the students is a great way to stay connected.

I also use the personal experience approach to
relate relevant information.

J. E. Wright

My students text me when they are going to absent from class. They seem to like the personal contact

I no longer text with students. I found that many refused to use the "business only" concept. I have since replaced it with emails. I inform the class I will only read and respond during business hours. This process works better and is much less disruptive during my evenings and weekends.

I do not text with my students - it's a personal preference. However, our online grading program had e-mail capabilities, and since students are constantly checking their grades (to keep in line with their need for constant and instant feedback), I usually can keep regular contact with students when needed.

I feel texting is too personal as well. With modern technology we have constant access to email on our phones (for most students). Sending and receiving emails is just as quick and removes the need to give out your cell phone number.

I also believe it is important to keep up on pop culture in order to relate to this generation. My classes usually get a kick out of it and pay attention when I mention celeberties or catch phrases from their generation. I have teenagers at home which is a big help.

I was instructed by my supervisors not to give out me personal phone number. However, having email access on my phone helps in responding quickly to student's questions.

Michelle,
this is a great example of where you need to honor the wishes of your supervisors, but can also accommodate the students need/desire for quick responses.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment