Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As A Boomer

I have to agree with this evaluation of my generation.

I've never really thought about the characteristics of each generation but when I saw them in print, I also had to agree with the evaluation of my generation...the baby boomer.

Terry,
and understanding these differences can be a great asset as we work with the various generations whether in the classroom or in the workplace.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I feel that enven though I am a Gen. X student by birth date I feel my upbringing was more closely related to the Boomer Gen. I feel I fit that catagory better.

Fedele,
it is key to recognize this in ourselves & in others as we don't want to stereotype too quickly.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a boomer i agree with the reasons we are why we are.I have been to seminars on gen-y.
I liked the linking of history and events that shaped the way the different generations are and behave.

Ron,
I do believe it is important to understand why people or generations or cultures are the way they are. This only increases our ability to work together within the diversity.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The sociologist learns about C Wright Mills and his sociological imagination. The importance of connecting history & biography stands as the center of the concept. Knowing the experiences and historical events that impact on other generations, especially later ones (as teachers) will enable a better teaching strategy.

George,
this is so true as it also enables us to pull in examples or illustrations that may be more relevant to a particular generation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I want to be able to relate to my students as unique individuals and not have them see me as some Baby Boomer who couldn't possibly understand what their upbringing was like. Courses like these that break down the barriers will help all of us to look at each other with fresh eyes.

Linda,
it is important that our students know we are at least trying to understand them & making that effort.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a Baby Boomer myself I realize the different Generational Cohorts and how each is impacted through education. Having my own children in Gen-X & Gen-Y Cohorts,gives me a better understanding of how to relate and teach my diverse student population.

Leslie,

it is great that you have that ability to understand first-hand the different generational characteristics.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a Boomer I never equated exactly what they meant whenever someone termed me as a Baby Boomer. I was very happy about this course. I learned a lot. This college teaches Human Growth and I hope that it includes the Generations that max knowledge provided. Unfortunately I am not a part of the large group that left the work force being that I am still working. There is a huge difference in the Baby Boomers and the Gen Y group. I know technology is the wave of the future. It is very difficult to teach the Gen Y Group because technology makes it so easy for them to use the latest technology and they forget to use common sense in some cases. Thank you for providing this course.

Pandora,
so glad the course was helpful. Yes, one of the greatest challenges with Gen Y is to help them understand the limitations of technology along with the benefits.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment