Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emai;

Has proven to be a big success in my school; but not all instructors know how to take advantage of it

I can see why this is true. Many instructors are still wanting to hold on to paper, however this would be much faster to get student work in. However, as instructors we still have issues with students waiting until last mintue to trun projects in and they always say "I did email it to you. I must be having so issues with my email." So for most teachers it is easier just to have a hard copy.

The use of email has been very successful in my career college nursing program. The syllabus and powerpoints, as well as the reading schedule can be sent to the students ahead of term start which allows them the option of getting jump start on new courses.

I find that my students want my handouts on their computers and want the ability to print them in color. (My handouts are very colorful but the school printer is black and white.) I email all of my handouts to the students and both of these problems are solved.

Kathryn,
this is a great strategy as it provides the students with what they want & demonstrates your willingness to help them, and you nor the school have to pay for the color printing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Email is a wonderful tool to use to communicate and manage data, it is my favorite documentation management tool. we should continue to use it as a tool and progress on and on.

selinza,
yes email provides a great deal of accountability & also opportunit to connect with the students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

E-mail is my primary form of communicating with students outside the classroom (other than my portal page). However, I have noticed a big problem, which is that students do not use proper spelling or grammar in their e-mails to me. They send them using text language and most times don't even identify themselves or the class that they are in. Anyone else have problems with this new trend?

No one believes that excuse anymore: I didn't get the email or it must have gone into my spam folder... Teachers should know emails saved and sent are just as good as hard cpoies

Discussion and reviewing grades,when illness comes students are able to stay in touch and communicate.

Dorothy,
this can also be a valuable way to use certain learning portals, discussion boards, or even social media.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

E-mail allows instant access and saves money in paper. Keeping up with technology keeps students and teacher in the mix.

Christine,
yes, this is a great reason to engage with the available & allowable technologies to stay in contact with our students.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment