Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching Real Life Skills With Cell Phones

As educators, we teach more than just informational content. We are expected to teach students the skills that are required of them once they move on to the workplace.

One of these skills is giving their attention to the person leading the discussion. This could be the project leader, manager, boss, CEO...whomever.

I usually just remind my students that taking a call or texting during a meeting is a good way to get unwanted attention and could lead to them being fired. It seems to work.

What other things can we say to encourage professionalism and respect with cell phone usage?

Attila,
this is a great point. I like to flip it around & talk to them about how they would feel in the same situation if they were the ones being ignored because of technology.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

During a clinical lab, I mentioned that everyone should have ICE contacts in their cellphones.

None of the students were familiar with "in case of emergency" numbers are quickly scanned by law enforcement/hospitals to contact family/significant others.

The students quickly looked up an "APP" for ICE and left the class with real life learning for the day.

David,
this is a great example of how these students know much about technology, but there really is more for them to learn.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We model the behavior that we expect from out students. Therefore, my phone is not with me in class. My students are expected to make sure their phones are silenced and out of sight during class.

We can also discuss appropriate messages to use for their voicemail and appropriate phone etiquette when calling an instructor or leaving a message -- all things they will need in the workplace.

I expect my students to have their ceel phones on silent mode during classroom time.

I try to emphasize to my students who have cell phones, that while I understand life goes on around them, there is a right way and a wrong way to work with a cell phone. It, of course, must be on silent mode. I tell them never answer their phone in class, but to excuse themselves and take the call in the hall. Many of our students have children/parents at home who may be ill or need them. I explain that if possible, calls should be returned during breaktime.

Becki,
yes, teaching them professionalism & proper use can often go further than simply saying "no."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have a different approach. In a kitchen, there are many people but only one timer on an oven. In baking (and in life), timing is everything.

I tell my students to use the timer app or function on their phones as they go about their work so that they don't ruin projects.

Every kitchen and chef has its own rules about phone usage -- I teach respect for the rules and proper cell etiquette.

Stacy,
I think this is the key lesson that we must teach to our students, the respect for rules & proper cell etiquette.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment