Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen X and Gen Y

Reading the differences between Gen X and Gen Y learners plus Veterans really hit home for me. This is especially true as I use the computer to take this course.

Distance learning is something that I have adapted to over time but has taken some getting used to on my part.

Online education is a clear difference between generational learners.

Ward Logan

Online course learning is different than use of technology in the learning process. I believe Gen X is more independent in learning processes and Gen Y while tech-saavy, is a more dependent consumer of knowledge. Many of these students have had babysitters, tutors, parent involvement with projects and homework, learning centers, test prep courses. . . and such. Anyone?

Ward,
this is so true. This idea helps all generations understand where another is coming from. For the younger generations, online learning is obvious, for other generations it takes adaptation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

LeAnn,
this is a great observation. There is a difference in the use of technology & online learning. And I tend to agree with you that Gen Y requires more "handholding" no matter what type of learning we are talking about.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Its very intersting to see how world events shape the way students learn. I never thought there was much difference betwen Gen X and Gen Y but now clearly see the differences.

Mwerner,
yes the events whether global or close to home really do shape the way a generation experiences life.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Gen Y learners seem to require more 'hand-holding' because they are accustomed to more attentive and 'hands-on' instructors.

Edward,
this is an unfortunate characteristic of this generation & we need to help them to think & do for themselves.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a Gen Xer with Gen Y children and Baby Boom Parents this course really hits home and helps me understand how people view the world around them. This information is vital in the class room.

Louis,
I think it's also helpful as we just slow down & try to understand better about why certain people approach life in a certain way.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

This has been a very helpful topic. We have blended learning styles in our classrooms, as well as the students generational characteristics. I am a Gen X instructor, with several Y children, and veteran parents. What a crazy mix, but understanding these charactaristics are very helpful

Scott,
great point. And we need to remember that while we are dealing with generational generalities, each learner is an individual & we need to help them as much as possible.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Every student is unique as we all see the world through our own lens. The gen gap characteristics that are identified in this course are interesting, although somewhat generalized in my opinion. So much of one's life is impacted by their socio/economic background, not just historical events. For example, poverty has the same impact across all generations, so I agree it's important to understand as much as we can about every student and how they approach life.

I completely agree with this comment. Gen Y tends to need in class reviews, exam prep, and more one-on-one tutorial sessions. I feel the older generations are able to self-direct a little better when it comes to study habits and engaging other classmates in study groups and what not!

Ashlee,
I concur that the older generations seem more able to self-direct. This is a skill that I try to help my Gen Y students in developing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

It does make things more clear. I am from generation X and I often have the expectation for my students to be self-directed (which generation Y is not) and for them to be able to type their assignments using a computer (which many veterans and baby boomers struggle with). I think this will help me to be more empathetic to the needs of my students.

I completely agree. I find that some of of my X students are more independent whereas the Y students require direct supervision. Even though the Y students are more tech savvy, they have a more difficult time navigating through websites.

Sign In to comment