Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students Who do Not Want Help

How do you help a student with an obvious disability if every suggestion you make about getting them accommodations, they turn down?

Carrie,
Maybe what the student is telling you is that he/she doesn't NEED help. Don't take it personally. Our goal for any student with a disability is that they learn to manage their own disability-related needs. It is never inappropriate to offer assistance, but it is inappropriate to force it on a student who has chosen, for whatever reason, not to pursue outside help.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Perhaps the first thing to do is to discuss the long-term implications of refusing accommodations. Many people with disabilities--whether physical or sensory--are self-conscious about their condition, and do not wish to have anything highlight their difference from others. Refusing accommodations for them allows them a sense of control and false security that they are just like everyone else. However, the truth is that they are unique with specialized learning needs. If we shift the focus to how this refusal will impact their educational and career goals, perhaps these students will accept the help they need and deserve.

Camille,
I am a little uncomfortable with an approach that suggests (no matter how politely you phrase it), "Let's talk about the mistake you are making in not accepting help!" It might be better to come at this from the perspective of what the consequences will be if the student is unable to perform/finish the task at hand and then say, "are there steps that I can take or that you can take to avoid those consequences?" The decision as to whether or not to accept help (refuse accommodations) still has to be respected. The person with the disability may have VERY legitimate reasons for not taking that help -- or, at least, not in the form you offer it.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have had students that had a accommodations for testing and he did better when he did not use them. he used the accommodations as a clutch. In some case it should be left up to the student but give them the options everytime.

Brian,
I would caution that your assessment of what happened may not be accurate, Brian. It is possible that he had the WRONG accommodations. It is possible that other accommodations might have been more appropriate. If the accommodations were assigned on the basis of a label, rather than on the basis of need, there is always question about their usefulness in any given situation.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Even though a student may have a visibly noticeable disability, it does not mean that they require accomodations. Letting them, and all other students on campus, know that you are the ADA Coordinator will let everyone know to come to you if they wish to disclose any disabilities. Just because one disability is visible to the eye does not mean that there are others with learning disabilities that you may not know about. I've found that providing all students with my contact information means that I, myself, am not making assumptions about any of the students before they set foot in the classroom.

Elecia,
Well said. One of the basic tenets of the Disability Rights movement is that one is not a person with a disability unless you choose to identify yourself as such and ask for consideration. Whether the disability is visible or not, the choice of asking for assistance should be left to the student. There is only a choice to be had if the student knows who to go to -- that is, if information on where to seek help is readily available to all.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

The biggest problem that I have seen is where the student has ADD or ADHD, constantly disrupts the class and these disturbances makes it much harder for the other students to learn. I have been told where I work and on this CEE that the student must come forward first and ask for accomodations before we can help them. Is there a way to approach a student who really needs a psycological
examination without either getting fired or upsetting the student?

Martin ,
Wait... let's back up. Are you talking about students with ADD/ADHD (and if they haven't already identified and asked for help, how do you know that?), or are we talking about students who seem to be manifesting behavioral/psychological problems? The first (ADD/ADHD) are rarely a disruption to others. The second -- students who are disruptive for some reason -- shouldn't be assumed to have a disability soley on the basis of what you see in class. The best way to go is to take the student aside, tell him/her that their behavior is unacceptable (be very specific as to WHAT is unaccesptable), and that if they continue with that behavior there may be sanctions.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

If i know a student needs help and refuse it. I explain to them the benefits of the services that can can be provided. For example, you can get extra time on a test, and you can have some one read the information to you.

issaclee,
That is really all you can do -- tell them what their options are and let them make their own decisions. Part of what is unique about the disability rights laws is that you are not a person with a disability unless you choose to identify yourself as such and ask for consideration on the basis of that identification.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree. The issue of not accepting accommodations is greatly influenced by the manner in which they are offered.It is understandable that students with specialized learning needs, would wish to be approached without feeling labeled or segregated.Providing clarity in regards to the benefits of accommodations and the extent of how they can enhance the reaching of future goals,would actualize better outcomes.

Marlene,
You are right on target here. Students with disabilities need to know the price tag, and the cost-for-goods that accompanies the acceptance of accommodations in your class. What will they be giving up in order to receive the support (anonymity, respect, expectation of potential), versus what the potential benefit might be.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment