Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Methods for guided discussions and teaching practices

I see Gen Y learners as very interested in knowing why something works. They are more interested in the reasons than if it works or not.
Giving students a voice is key to any sucessful learning experience.The most important element in this method is the confidence that students have and the ability of the instructor to allowing a student to be wrong but not foolish.

I am in agreement. It is very interesting (and more rewarding) to hear a student work through the relevance and validity of an answer that they gave. I don't like to put the entire answer out there for them. They seem to get more out of it when they start to get the 'reasons why' on their own.

i find it very important to respond to a students question with questions that involve rational thinking on thier part. directed questioning allows them to discover the answer on thier own. this is very satisfying to them and helps to better understand the subject matter

i also agree that these GY learners want a quick and accurrate answer and this challenges me to be a better instructor and it keeps me on my toes so to speak. and i am never going to stop learning and therefore i will stey one step ahead of them and hopefully give them an awesome expierience in my class.

I love watching students 'figure it out,' as it develops their confidence. If they get 'stuck' I encourage them to continue and not to worry if they are wrong. Also, I encourage other students to 'help out' when they can, which creates a sense of teamwork.

Sign In to comment