Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Requiring Certain Abilities for Career-Specific Programs?

I am concerned that my program may have established some discriminatory practices before I became program director. In particular, we have students in our program sign a form upon their admission that verifies that they will be willing to perform within certain physical, sensory, and mental guidelines. This is a medical field and a physically demanding job. Sensory skills, including visual, auditory, and tactile abilities, impact their ability to perform the duties associated with this job. Is this in violation of the ADA? If so, what do I do about it?

Camille,
It sounds as though you are talking about a listing of technical standards that may have been badly drawn. You are right in worrying about technical standards that focus on HOW the tasks are done (using some prescribed level of vision, hearing, mobility, etc.), rather than focusing on WHAT must be done (take blood pressure, hang an IV, apply a tourniquet, etc.). I would be happy to discuss how such standards can be more appropriately drawn.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment