Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical Thinking

At the end of a given chapter my students are to answer a critical thinking question. These questions are usually composed of 3 or more parts each related to the initial topic. The students are required to give clear and concise answers to each part, explaining how they arrived at their conclusions or opinions. Simple statements without explanation results in a lower grade for the exercise.
This teaches the students to assimilate,review,and analyze the information rather than just collecting and reciting it.

Ronald,

this is a great assessment to incorporate into the course so they are really being challenged.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Ronald,

this is a great assessment to incorporate into the course so they are really being challenged.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think this is a great method to assess the students' understanding of the course material. If they can relay it back in substantive form, they have grasped the content.

I strongly believe in the deeper level of comprehension that critical thinking develops. It is always the focus and goal of the homework I give, that I will then attach to a discussion the following day. I find it to be very effective.

Nadine,
yes, we really need to push for the critical thinking aspects in our students. This is an important skill that is not always developed.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We often emphasize the need to be critical thinkers, but rarely take time to discuss the characteristics of what is considered effective critical thinking components.

A quick exercise is to ask WHY??? 5 times to get deeper into thought and consideration and actual situation.

David,
this is a good point. We must be incorporating these skills into our classes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think critical thinking is an important tool for life, and these type of questions provide them to exercise this practice. Too many instructors use multiple choice, scantron, and fill in the blank quizzes and testing without using application type of questions.

This is where I feel we are failing our students at. We are giving them the education, but are we giving them how to apply and use cirtical thinking with the concepts?

Andrea,
an excellent question that should be pondered. It is possible to use some forms of scantron testing & still push critical thinking, but we really need to explore a variety of assessments to determine true understanding.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

During the 13 months of vocational nursing training, it is essential for the students to develop critical thinking skills in order to be able to function as a nurse upon graduation.

Denise ,
it really is key & I know there is a strong emphasis on these skills in the nursing field. We must find ways to incorporate the development of these skills in our classes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Critical thinking is a must. I recently located a website and training at www.criticalthinking.org

I am currently working with this with the generation y in my home.

I ask question to cause critical thinking during my lectures. Facilitating a topic allow critical thinking skill to flow.

Nichelle,
yes, good questioning techniques & powerful questions are a great way to stimulate & develop the critical thinking.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Being able to problem solve by incorporating subject matter learned is critical. I encourage application of knowledge through the Socratic method on a daily basis.

Laura,
this is a great method to help our students really learn how to evaluate & think critically about the subject matter & their own ideas.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am a firm believer in the five why's. It doesn't help to just scratch the surface so keep digging!

In the medical field, it is highly important for students to know more than "just the facts". They MUST be able to analyze and respond quickly and appropriately to whatever situation might arise. Practicing these skills is class is very important so they become second nature.

if we discuss coarse material with students, we can make statements all day long and they will nod their heads. Until we start asking why, we won't truely know if they actually understand the material

Glenn,
yes, this is a great way to assess their levels of understanding & learning of concepts.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment