Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology in the classroom

Personal technology in the classroom has been a difficult one for me to incorporate.

In the beginning I was worried that students would surf the web, use Facebook and check email rather than work on courses.

However, I found that personal tech devices have allowed students to be more engaged in learning.

Thanks!
Ward

Ward, I have had an altogether different experience with personal technology in the classroom.
I have found that a few students use their smart phones, I-pads, etc during class to look for additional information on the topic and some even add what is found to the discussion. But for the most part they are taking texts from friends, playing games, looking at videos, or listening to music unrelated the the course. As a result, when they miss an important peice of information, it slows the whole class down when it has to be explained again. Those who were paying attention are upset that we are waisting time going over information they already understand. The net result is a disruption of the class. I wondered how the students feel if I, as the instructor were to multi-task and take texts, look at videos, etc while I was teaching. So I tried it once to prove a point. It took very little time for them to get tired of it and start complaining. Because of that I limit the use of personal technology in the classroom to almost none.

I think the concept of allowing students to use the internet during classroom time isn't a great idea. They have plenty of time to access online resources outside of the classroom. Having a good instructor present and available is more important in my opinion.

Sooner or later there will be lap tops or smartphone/pdas in the class room. Whats going to have to probably happen is they would have to be school supplied devices and be firewalls up to restrict access to sites such as you tube, facebook etc. But they would still be able to look up relavant information.

I think if an instructor can set ground rules and provide dicipline for the students who don't listen then it could be a great tool to be used in the future.

Donald,
yes, on the whole I would say the use of personal devices during a class is not a good idea. I do think there are certain times or activities in which they can be utilized with strict guidelines.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found the same to be true. Sometimes the devices are used to add to the class discussions, but I've found that it is more of a distraction then anything else, except when they miss something important because of their phone, I will not go back over the material for them.

I agree by allowing them incorporate thing such as surfing the web along with lecture and a you-tube videos helps the learning process

janice,
these can be helpful additions & supports as long as they are focused on the learning task at hand.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found that by asking studnets to research something for the class on their phones. Keeps them enaged in the class and enables them to use technology that most schools don't have.

Hi Mwerener,

I agree that having technology in the classroom isn't necessarily a great idea. I have tried it a few times, but have found it extremely difficult to monitor. We want to trust our students, but unfortunately there are those that take advantage of this trust and don't follow the prescribed assignment - and of course there are those sheep that follow. Any ideas on how to curb this would be appreciated.

Use of internet if a part of a tethered system with lessons and quizzes and activities preparepared by instructor are used would be extremely useful tool in teaching.

Sign In to comment