Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Boomers

I think it is fascinating how boomers interact with Gen X and Y in a classroom. They have a completely different way of learning and a much longer attention span. How are do you balance the short verses long attention spans in the classroom environment well without losing some students?

I use this site as a resource for boomer info:

http://www.nextavenue.org

I am a Boomer so I teach them in small groups doing different things and then bring that back for a sit down discussion regarding what we did. That helps me (the formal type of learner)make sure that they grasped the material while still keeping them engaged.

Where I teach it is not uncommon to have boomers,x'ers and y'ers and most of the time the groups take on a learning dynamic that is fun to be apart of. WE ALL learn frome each other and come away with a different perspective.But during extended lectures I have to be more Boomerish and also be quick on my feet for snap demonstrations or tying it all together for students that need to know how does this apply right now to help "me".

Donna,
this is a great way to utilize strengths from the different methods of learning & the generations. I'm a firm believer in incorporating the best & I think this is a great way to do it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Being a Boomer myself, I have had to adjust my method of instruction, my delivery, inject humor often, but by all means; know what you are talking about. Knowing your subject matter will give you credibility for the Gen Y generation. If I speak incorrectly about a topic, wrong information, they will find out in minutes that you are wrong. Then they ask"what else were we told that was wrong also?" They have so much access to media that checking information's accuracy is quick and simple. Many Gen Y students don't trust alot of authority figures (sounds familiar?) and you have to earn their trust.

David,
this is so true. I realize that we have "issues" with some of the information they have via the internet, but much of it is accurate. So if I just blow smoke, they will know it & my credibility is suspect.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As you are aware, information is just a touch away. Teaching at a career institute, accuracy is a must. Sometimes,when asked a question I don't know, I will make the student find the info and present it in a class forum.This seems to work really well as they are now a "teacher" of some sort.And we all know that with this gen y student, the rest of the class is now seeing their fellow class mate leading a discussion, and this opens the door to even a great percentage of participants who might normally not be so "eager" to speak up.

David,
this is a great idea & it encourages the participation of the students which really engages them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In my classroom the students have to use documented sites for information. Tthis means they can't get an answer from joeshmoe.com but have to find a website which has professional input such as a univeristy website for technical or scientific information.
I find much of the information that is available to my students via routine internet searches regarding their subject matter is just someone's undocumented opinion and the students will quote it as fact and use it to reference scientific assignments.
I encourage my students to use the 'net all the time and am appalled at times at how much better I am at ferreting out pertinent information while they seem to flounder. I find it is related to the "1st thing I find" rather than is it "the best I can find".
As a boomer I am constantly amazed at how much students can access on their SMARTPHONES which would have taken me hours in the library. Students seem to text without thinking but ask them to find something worthwhile on their phones and its like they see the phone for the first time.

Rose Ann,
this illustrates the burden we have to help our students become good discerners of the information that is out there. Part of the problem that I've noticed is there seems to be that attitude of "the first thing I find," rather than really digging in for more & better information.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

That's a great idea. I still believe it's important they know we are human and don't know everything. And not afraid to admit it.

I'm a boomer as well and I remember how teachers taught in an almost detached way and rarely deviated from the usual write on the board with lecture method.I'm dedicated to offering my Gen X and Y students various learning tools and strategies in order to provide an enriched, learning environment.

Marlene,

we have come a long way in our teaching methodology & while there are challenges with the current generation, the old lecture method is just not as effective really for anyone.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a Boomer myself it took me a little longer to adjust, learn to teach, the newer generations. I guess old habits die hard. I am a product of Catholic school in the 60's and I felt I received an excellent education. But the way I learned and they way they learn now are really different. It was the honesty of my students that helped me to realize that while I was covering all the material they needed to be successful they were not truly getting it. I started to learn what I could about generational learning styles, through courses like this one, and they have helped me a great deal in the classroom. I share what I learn with my students so that they can understand each other better. I have quite a diverse mix of generations in my classroom. What I am even more proud of is how learning about the Gen Y generation has helped me to be a better father to my sons and all of their friends. Learning in the classroom and in life go hand in hand and all my students can understand and appreciate that.

Stephen,
this is great awareness on your part as you learned that not all people learn the same way.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment