Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Any suggestions for motivating students that are ready to give up?

I would love to hear suggestions from others regarding motivating students that are ready to give up on their education and/or those that are not applying themselves to their abilities.

important soft skill for an instructor.

Being polite,tactful, honest, providing a constructive feedback and having good positive relationships with students is key success for a good instructor.

How to encourage Emotional Intelligence skills in students

I teach Psychology and have noticed that many of my students lack emotional intelligence skills. This topic is even briefly lectured on, but the mindset of the students doesn't seem to change from the beginning to the end of the course. I know that the students would be more successful throughout their program of study and in the work place if they would actually recognize their deficit and practice using emotional intelligence. Any ideas?

SOFT VS HARD

I enjoyed this lesson. I can see that soft skills along with people skills are important to function of a healthy work environment or a teacher student relationship. It's like comparing it to an overly strict parent. Being strict is ok but overly strict is not. The child will rebell initially.

Motivating Students

I am teaching a Human Growth & Development class right now and some days I am seriouslly thinking of showing up to my class dress as a clown just to get them going. If anyone have some suggestions on how to motivate this specific group I would appreciate it.

People Skills

People skills are so very important in every area of life, especially being a nurse educator. we deal with people every minute of the day, and if you are not aware of every word, every body language you are exhibiting you can totally distroy your patients their family members, and your students.This module is a refresher course for me. Thanks

softskills

Motivating student is difficult until you can generate their passion in a subject. Got to find what the passion is.

Soft Skills

I completely agree with all that is promoted in this section; however, with me being a communication instructor I feel most students identify soft skills as purely an innate behavior. "I already know how to communicate with others" is a very common complaint from my students. Is there a method/way that could by-pass all the complaints about learning these emotional intelligence/soft skills/people skills?

Managing Emotions

Managing emotions is a fine art that very few people have mastered. I am asking for advice on the following: Let's say you sit in an area at the office where you are surrounded by many employees because of lack of space. So therefore you are constantly hearing other people's conversations, and a lot of them are not appropriate. Specifically, you hear others talk trash about other employees, the school as an organization and even students. Let's say you have given suggestions on handle to handle these feelings on many occasions, but they never seem to take your advice--they just… >>>

Work place behavior

Having worked in an environment that was strained at best because of the behavior of the workers. Degrating,name calling, arguments and disrespect were an everyday occurance. I referred to the job as the toxic dump. EAP had to come in and be a mediator to help improve the work place. Employees were not happy therefore the customers were not happy. I have learned that a work place needs to be free from verbal harrassment. Once the work place is out of control how does one retake the environment and change it into a pleasant place with mutual respect between employees?

Work place behavior/

Soft skills are so important for teaching as well as working effectively with others.

teaching soft skills

It would be ideal to teach a class in soft skills, does any one see this lacking in Gen Y

Student emotions

What are some of the techniques you have used to manage students who have many personal problems which affect their learning performance and concentration? I have practiced the good listening skills when faced with this challenge and try to provide some positive feedbacks to help them finding the solutions to their issues and maximize their learning opportunities.

becoming personally involved with a students problems

Learned to send student to proper advisor for outside problems

Soft Skills in an Online Enviroment

As an online Comp I facilitator for a mid-sized college, many students start the course lacking in several areas of soft skills. The development of self-esteem, time management, self-awareness, and personal responsibility are vital to the success of the online course and, truthfully, with any college class. Generally, the students hold a job and already have these skills to some degree, but may not understand how or why these skills should be used in an online enviroment. The frustration (and sometimes fear!) of the writing and research composition entails are significant factors that I strive to continually defeat. Building this… >>>

Getting to know your students

Hello: I teach at a very small community college and we get to know our students very well. This is to the point we know what motivates them and what frustrates them as well. I have found that I'm able to help control the frustration by listening and offering some guidance while at the same time encouraging them to excel.

Controlling Student emotions

Hello: I work in a very small school. Many of my students have strong emotions and often bring them from one class to the next. I ask that they refrain from openly criticizing instructors-- as this leads to a volatile situation many times. I will ask them to stop it and then after my class. I will see if they need to vent some frustration. I will encourage them to stay focused on their goals. If this does happen I will alter my lesson plan some to bring in a motivation tool to lift up the spirits in the classroom.

Why?

Why do so many people who are extremely smart have no soft skills?

Time Management

THIS has long been my Achilles heal. I'm a procrastinator. The tips I've learned as an instructor have me improving here but I'm not there yet. Is anybody EVER really "there"? How will I know?

Soft skills

Soft skills as we know is a very important skills to have in the workplace as well as other areas in life. How can you effectively attempt to relay this to students and colleagues who aren't really interested in this skill in there profession without being redundant?